JIRA STATUSES

Abhishek Jhawar April 28, 2014

I trying to have 5 different columns in JIRA agile. For ex.

Column 1 - New

Column 2 - Inprogress

Column 3 - Inprogress

Column 4 - Inprogress

Column 5 - Inprogress

Column 6 - Resolved

Currenly i am able to set the Inpogress status only in 1 of these columns, and when i view my Agile Board, i could see only 3 Columns (New , Inprogress and Closed/Resolved)

Please can someone, help me , on how do i create a Agile board with 5 coulmns having inprogress items. All i want to do is track the task in the Agile Board and they continue to be in Progress until they are resolved.

I hope i have detailed enough. Looking for an answer.

2 answers

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo [Herzum]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2014

Hello Abnishek,

a status can be added just to one column and it can't be shared throught different columns.

In my opnion, you should define a custom workflow that contains different statuses (that in your context mean In progress) and associate them to your AGile columns.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2014

Your structure is nonsense. A column in agile, by definition is a distinct status (or set of status) in the lifecyle of an issue. If you put the same stutus in more than one column, your board is intrinsically useless because it's now telling you absolutely nothing.

However, Agile columns can be thought of as a form of meta-status (for example the "done" column would contain things like "closed, closed because it's a duplicate, not required, etc) and it also already has the concept of Open/in-progress/done on top of that.

In fact, what you're trying to do is the opposite of what boards are for.

You should step back, examine your real-world processes and create your workflow based on how you want to work. Then, your Agile columns can simply have the relevant status added to them, and it'll all work fine.

Suggest an answer