JIRA SERVICE DESK How are agents counted

Didier Almaraz November 15, 2016

Hi everyone

In my organization we have the following doubt

In JIRA SERVICE DESK How are agents counted?  we want to buy 100 agents service desk, but we do not understand how it works.

In some projects we view (in clients menu) the agents assigned for this project , but in another projects the agents are diferents (This is for our configuration ),   how  JIRA do count the total number of agents?  (100 licences ) 

Best Regards

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2016

Service desk agents are counted by being a member of the "service-desk-agents" JIRA group. This is what provides access to perform actions as an agent in any project that has SD enbabled, such as workflow actions and internal comments. If a user has this license, they can work on multiple service desks, however a person must be in this group to work in ANY service desk. 

Hope that helps. 

Didier Almaraz November 16, 2016

Thanks for you assistance 

The JIRA Grup "service-desk-agents" does not appear,, we only visualize the group  "jira-servicedesk-users

All users into Group  "jira-servicedesk-users"  are users with licence of agent?  

In the page cotization JIRA SERVICE DESK show agents ( view image adjunted) , are those  users into of the group  "jira-servicedesk-users" ?

Best Regards

Image 1Sin título.png

Image 2

Sin título2.png

Like Scott Beeson likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2016

yes. JIRA service desk users = agents and what you are charged for. in the pics above you show 12 so at the moment you are looking at the 15 agent tier @ $4,500. If you get to 100 as mentioned before you will be at $20k tier.

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2019

JIRA service desk users = agents and what you are charged for.

Please explain why I just got charged 160 bucks for 8 agents then...

2019-10-24 09_50_31-Administration.png

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2019

This answer is not even close to right (due to time, I guess?)  I think I have solved this unnecessary puzzle.

In your organization settings click "Users".  There are 3 filter dropdowns at the top, change "All Products" to Jira Service Desk.  This should show you all "Agents".  To remove someone as an agent, click on them to view their details. At the top you will see 4 checkboxes.  One of them is for Jira Service Desk.  If you cannot uncheck this, the user is either a site/org administrator or a "trusted" user.  In the case of "Trusted User", just change the "Role" dropdown to "Basic".  This will allow you to uncheck the JSD access at the top of the page.

Like # people like this
danieldrouhard January 15, 2020

Thanks, this answer worked for me. Note: I had somehow allowed all new users to automatically be added to the Service Desk Product so my available spots filled up without me knowing. Removing un-needed users from the product in Administration > Organization > Users fixed the issue.

3 votes
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2019

The current accepted answer is WRONG. I think I have solved this unnecessary puzzle.

In your organization settings click "Users".  There are 3 filter dropdowns at the top, change "All Products" to Jira Service Desk.  This should show you all "Agents".  To remove someone as an agent, click on them to view their details. At the top you will see 4 checkboxes.  One of them is for Jira Service Desk.  If you cannot uncheck this, the user is either a site/org administrator or a "trusted" user.  In the case of "Trusted User", just change the "Role" dropdown to "Basic".  This will allow you to uncheck the JSD access at the top of the page.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2019

Things have changed over time w/ JSD just as it has for Jira. But you are correct, simply stated...

Any user under Jira Settings > Users that has Jira Service Desk application access is a billable "agent".

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2019

I think you mean "succinct"? :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2019

LOL... stupid auto correct. that is funny indeed. :-)

1 vote
Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2019

Just got billed like 160 bucks even though I should be the ONLY agent and on the free plan. 

If I look at the only JSD project and go to "People" there are two listed, one with the role Administrator and myself with both Administrator and Service Desk Team roles.

If I go to the whole organization settings and look at groups, I only see jira-servicedesk-users, no "agents" group. If I look at that, I am the ONLY member. 

Yet our bill showed 8 agents.  I feel like something super shady is going on here. I wonder how many companies are getting billed hundreds of dollars through this confusion and not even requesting a refund (like I already have).

Dennis Dolman December 23, 2019

Bit late: 

This is because of the Org and site admins being added to jira servicedesk aswell.

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2019

That was not the only issue. In addition, any user marked as "trusted" (Whatever that means) is automatically a Service Desk agent.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Didier Almaraz November 16, 2016

Thanks everyone for you assistance

Regards

0 votes
Maciej Gajownik January 3, 2021

Hi Why Trusted user automaticaly has access to Jira SM and is billed for an agent?

0 votes
Tonia Hatter November 30, 2020

The number of Jira Service Desk licenses you pay for is listed under administration > groups > "jira-servicedesk-users". What you see in there is the actual users with licenses as admins to all of your Jira service desk projects. What you see in there will be the number that matches your jira service desk licenses in the billing as well. 

I just went through this with Atlassian for our renewal. 

If you have a user with the Teams role checked, and it checks Jira Service Desk, it just gives them the ability to respond to and add comments to their own tickets and such. One step above basic. It doesn't count as a paid for license. 

I think that this is definitely not clear, and a failure on Atlassian's part to simplify this particular product.

Scott Beeson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 10, 2020

The number of Jira Service Desk licenses you pay for is listed under administration > groups > "jira-servicedesk-users". What you see in there is the actual users with licenses as admins to all of your Jira service desk projects. What you see in there will be the number that matches your jira service desk licenses in the billing as well. 

Unless they've changed it in the last year (fingers crossed) this is wrong.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2020

yep. While "jia-servicedesk-users" could equate to actual billing details in a given instance, it isn't THE way to definitively assess. I like going to my Billing section personally as that is where the rubber hits the road.

0 votes
Stacey E. Kimmel-Smith May 4, 2018

So related to this question, What Jira software rights do Jira Service Desk agents have? What can they do and not do in Jira software, without a specific Jira software license?

Thanks!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2018

That depends on what permissions they are given. By default they have rights to be assigned, transition, comment on issues. They often are set up to  perform some project admin functions, e.g. create queues, add users,request types, etc. again much of their permissions are configurable.

Stacey E. Kimmel-Smith May 4, 2018

Are there specific functions they cannot do as SD agents that they can do as Jira software (SW agents)? We're trying to figure out if we can save on Jira SW licenses -- many of the people who need a Jira Service Desk (SD) license will also be participating in project management in Jira SW. We were hoping that a Jira SD agent also had all of the permissions to function in Jira SW, but it does not seem permissions are additive in that sense.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2016

Didier,

I hope the following helps. Your question is a bit unclear. In JSD you have the following user types:

Agents: those users that are Assigned the issue to work to closure. These are paid users. Every agent is counted, that is, they are not shared. So if you truly have 100 employees that are servicing tickets for your customer base then you have 100 agents.

Customers: those users that submit requests (Reporter) These are FREE and unlimited

100 agents seems like a lot but then again I don't know your use case. You could work for a large company. If it is 100 then the cost is $20k/annually assuming you are going to use the server solution vs. Atlassian's cloud hosted solution. This is detailed on Atlassian's website - https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/pricing?tab=self-hosted

Suggest an answer