JIRA SD - Is a customer automatically a JIRA user?

Robin van Es April 21, 2016

Hi,

I have a question regarding the JIRA license. We are currently using JIRA but would like to begin using JIRA Service Desk for the support team. We currently have a JIRA license of 50 users. If we have more customers than that, will we need to expand our JIRA license? Or are JIRA Service Desk customers not considered JIRA users?

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

JIRA Service Desk customers are not considered JIRA users, unless you want them to be. In your case you have have any number of customers, without using JIRA licenses.

And FYI, you can even have a lesser number of licenses for JIRA Service Desk since JIRA7. i.e. you can have a 50user JIRA license with 10 user JIRA SD license.

Only users who  are licensed in JIRA SD can act as agents. i.e. only they can see SLAs, work on SD queues etc.

Robin van Es April 21, 2016

Thank you Jobin for your quick response.

Do you know if importing users using the CLI command line tool Add-on count towards the JIRA users amount?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

Not unless they are part of the group that has the JIRA Users global permission. Not sure how CLI works but the users might be initially added to that group. In that case, you just need to go and remove them from the group to reduce the license count.

Suggest an answer