JIRA - Repeated Tasks

Padmapriya N November 24, 2015

Hi All,

I need to create a set of repeated tasks ( Report Creation, Unit Testing, Testing, etc) for different modules.  The modules will differ but the tasks would remain same and the assignee and duration can differ. What is the simple way to use JIRA to create such repeated tasks.

Padma

3 answers

1 vote
Mateusz Daleki [Codedoers] September 10, 2018

Hello @Padmapriya N

Please check the Repeating Issues add-on. It allows you to create issues by cloning or creating sub-tasks. You can also schedule workflow execution. The add-on provide simple UI to quick setup the repeating directly on issue view and has a lot of feature (like support for non-working days, bulk repeating setup, velocity expressions in field values and much more...). Here you can find the add-on documentation.

If you have more questions or suggestions please submit a support request.

Regards,

Mateusz

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2015

I would recommend the scheduler plugin, which allows automated creations based on many different criteria:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pl.com.tt.jira.plugin.theschedulerpro/server/overview

We us it, works great.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2015

Hi Padma,

There are a number of solutions to your problem, here are a few for you to consider.

1. Create a set of template tasks in a project with all the common details that you require. Then using the issue filter select those which you want to apply to the latest module. Clone these issues and then link the new clones to your new module and move to the correct project.
    This works fine for a small number of occurrences and requires no additional plugins. 
    Requires the user to have browse permission on the source project and create permission in the destination project.  
    Easy to change the definition of a task in the source project. 
  2. As for 1 but use the Clone+ plugin from Bob Swift which enables you to do clone and move at the same time.
    This reduces the opportunity for missing an issue on the move action.
    Requires the user to have browse permission on the source project and create permission in the destination project.  
  3. If the set of tasks is completely defined then it may make sense to have a step in the workflow which can be actioned to create the tasks as a step. This can be a self-referencing step that leaves the issue in the same status. If I was implementing this approach I would implement something similar to this using ScriptRunner as my scripting language.
    1. Have a hidden field to say whether tasks have/not been created.
    2. Have a multi-select list field for the list of tasks to be created.
    3. Workflow step create is only available if project administrator OR hidden field shows tasks not created.
      Loop through the multi-select list creating each task (potentially checking it does not already exist) and linking it to the module.
      Set the hidden field to be tasks created
    This works well for when you want to give the permission to create to a less experienced user of JIRA as it is all automated but it is harder to change the specifics of each task as it requires coding changes.

I am sure others may suggest other approaches equally valid options for you.

Phill

Suggest an answer