JIRA - Remember session context when it has expired

Leos Junek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2014

Hello to all JIRA users and admins!

Is there any way to allow users continue their work after their session expired? When they log in again, they're redirected to their dashboard. It would be useful specially in case of left complicated JQL query. On the other side I do understand that it would be easy for any application to remember all contexts for all browser tabs.

Partial solution of that problem could be set longer session, e.g. 18 hours. Could you recommend any other solution? Or there's no way to remember session context.

With regards,

Leos

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Leos Junek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2014

Hello, finally it seems option "Remember my login on this computer" on login screen does the job. It uses cookies described at JIRA Cookies page, so cookies cannot be deleted if you want JIRA to relogin automatically. In that case JIRA remembers several pages opened in several browser tabs.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2014

Hi Leos,

You can create a custom dashboard and put gadgets on it that will autorefresh every 15 min for example. If you will keep this dashboard open in a separate browser tab your JIRA user session should never expire until you will close browser. I am using this method already for years and it is working fine for me.

I hope that will also help you.

Best Regards,

Mirek

Leos Junek
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2014

Thanks, Mirek.

Unfortunately, this helps when you leave your browser open and your OS running all the time of your absence or inactivity. I am looking for a solution for case of closing both browser and halting operation system.

With thanks,

Leos

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2014

In general I think know what you mean .. It would be something like a draft page in Confluence. You are doing something and then in case you run out of power or something then easily have it after next log in, right?

Unfortunately I cannot think of any big need to keep track of a session for such a long time. If you want to keep the complex JQL .. then just save it and keep it as a filter and later use again. Other content could be reopened in saved browser tabs.

Suggest an answer