JIRA Release Notes Markdown, a good idea?

Alex Endfinger October 24, 2013

This is something I have always wanted. A configuration to generate Markdown out of the Release Notes in JIRA! I can do this with HTML -> Markdown converters, but thats just messy. I want a simple copy and paste and bam! Useful for people who like to use GitHub Releases. However, would Atlassian really consider including this, or would they just make a plugin, or somebody else make a plugin?

4 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2019

In Jira Server and Data Center you should be able to do this as the release notes template is customizable and the result is plain text, so nothing prevents you from using markdown syntax. In Cloud, however, you don't have access to the release notes template for technical reasons.

A workaround could be using the Better PDF Exporter app (supports Jira Cloud!), but with a tricky template that creates the PDF document with markdown-format body text. Then you export the PDF file, open it in any reader application and copy its body text and voila, you have content in markdown format.

Not the optimal solution, but could definitely work until it becomes natively available in Jira Cloud.

0 votes
GeoffB March 6, 2018

5 years on and this STILL is a really simple feature begging to be added.

Please register your vote here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67148

0 votes
Charles Burgess September 19, 2016

PLEASE! This is a royal pain for our team

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2013

Good idea. I am trying to write one for you, but it will not be useful as you are using OnDemand

Suggest an answer