JIRA Rally Connector Not Updating Issues in Rally

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

Hi All,

Me again with more questions about the JIRA Rally Connector which I appreciate possibly shouldn't be asked here, but I could use some pointers with debugging the SOAP requests that the connector is making.

We had the JIRA Rally Connector configured and working successfully against JIRA 5.1.3 (not supported, but works) to copy new tickets from JIRA to Rally and to sync any updates made in JIRA to those tickets over to Rally. At some point in the last month something changed that stopped the updates from syncing.

New tickets created in JIRA are correctly copied over to Rally, but when the connector looks for updates with the following call:

POST http://myjira.example.com/rpc/soap/jirasoapservice-v2/getIssuesFromJqlSearch?in0=**masked**&in1=type=1 and project = "HERMES" and RallyID > 0 and updated >= "2012-10-17 15:12"&in2=9999

it never find any tickets that need updating despite there being tickets that match the query as if I run:

type=1 and project = "HERMES" and RallyID > 0 and updated >= "2012-10-17 15:12"

in the Issue Navigator in the JIRA UI it returns the tickets I'm expecting to see.

Other than enabling the SOAP access logs and SOAP dump logs is there anything else I can enable/use to try and figure out why the SOAP API is not returning any results?

I've got the feeling I'm missing something obvious with this, but just cannot see it at the moment so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2012

Ok, after much head scratching, blind alleys and dead ends this turned out to be a timing issue. The connector and JIRA are on separate servers and the server times had drifted enough so that when the connector was looking for "all updates since X" it was never finding any issues.

After re-sycning all the servers to have the correct times and then restarting JIRA and the connector the updates are syncing again.

So frustratingly obvious in the end :/

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Hey Andrew, if the query is proven, then you're left with either the translation of the passed query (broken) or the implementation (java) of that query (broken), either way, you can't do much other than get code/debug etc IMO.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Thanks Andy. I've passed it to Rally as well as I think their connector is closed source.

What I should have mentioned is that the connector with the exact same config works against my test JIRA 5.1.3 system and I can see the correct responses coming back in JIRA's SOAP dump logs, but against my production 5.1.3 system the responses are empty so it looks like a problem with this instance of JIRA.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

hmm, ok, that would then indicate permissions on the relavent issues being different (ie soap access user is not privileged enough)? Test instance = empty/minimal/not setup, prod=full/setup?

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Ah, hadn't thought of that.

Just checked though and it's not user permissions. The user that you connect to JIRA as using the Rally Connector has to be a JIRA Administrator and if I log in as that user I can view/edit/delete the issues in question.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Yeah, should be able to. I'll give that a try.

Thanks again.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Are you able to get a backup of the specific project restored, to test?

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

come back and let us know progress, would like to know outcome!

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2012

Ok, the project that I restored to the test system successfully synced new issues and updates. Though that was a restore of the individual project rather than a complete system restore, i.e. it restored with defaults and I updated to use the same schemes as the project on production.

Fine tooth comb time I think as although all the security, field, workflow schemes, etc. *were* a copy of production not that long ago, they are shared across multiple projects on an instance with 15 JIRA admins so it's feasible that someone changed something on production.

Will let you know how I get on.

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2012

Think I'm getting closer with this and it is something to do with permissions.

Suggest an answer