JIRA REST API - Create Issue, Skipping Conditions/Validators/Permissions

Irtiza Rizvi July 18, 2017

Hello,

Is it possible to create an issue through the JIRA REST API while skipping conditions, validators, and permissions?

The use case is we want to be able to create a JIRA issue from another tool, selecting any project + issue type combination in JIRA.  Different combinations have different required fields, permissions, etc, but we want to bypass that and create the issue anyways.  Currently, for example, when we try to create an issue and do not set all the required fields, the REST API returns a 400 error.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

REST respects the rules you set for your humans.  It wouldn't be much use if they could simply waltz around your rules by scripting a REST connection.

Gotcha.  So there's no way to override those rules, even if I authenticate the REST request as a JIRA global admin?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

I think there's some stuff you can do if it is performed as an admin, but I can't remember.  Even if I could, I'd point out that it's a security risk, and bad practice.

Understood.  I'd still like to know what is involved and how this can be accomplished so I can communicate that, along with the security concerns, to my client.

If you do recall or come across any information regarding this, that would be greatly appreciated!

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2018

Hi guys,

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

I'm curious how does Script Runner's built in function do it?

Just from the technical view :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2018

It's got direct access to the full API, it doesn't use REST for that.

Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2018

aaaaah.

That explains it.

Thanks,

Cheers

Suggest an answer