JIRA Query for top 50 ranked issues

Allan Chow June 21, 2012

I would like to set up a Kanban board where my todo column consists of the top 50 ranked issues with the Open status. Is there a JQL statement that can accomplish that?

1 answer

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2012

There's no specific way to get TOP <n> functionality in JIRA. Assuming you're willing to include all the rest you can just set your Rapid Board JQL to select the projects or issues you care about, for e.g.

project in (x,y,z)

Then have the first column in your Rapid Board include the 'Open' status only.

Thanks,
Shaun

Allan Chow June 24, 2012

If we did just include all the open issues, that would simply get too huge, as there are a couple hundred open issues. Project/Process organization aside, this is something that we're going to have to live with.

Ideally, when planning for what issues go into the TODO column on our Kanban board, we'd like to review the ranking of the issues, rather than having to explicitly tag an issue (status, fix version, label, etc) to fit the Kanban board's query. Having to do the latter can lead to quite a bit of legwork, even with bulk changing.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2012

I'm not 100% sure of your situation. Are you trying to push every single issue that goes in to your instance through this Kanban board?

One option might be to use a filter that excludes things you don't care about any more. For example:

label != Triaged

This Rapid Board will now not show items that are labelled 'Triaged'. You can then use the board to rank the issues then apply the label. You could do this a little more neatly by adding a Triaged step to your workflow, you can then have one Rapid Board for Triage which has columns 'ToDo' and 'Triaged', all other Rapid Boards would then start from 'Triaged'.

Does that sound like what you're looking to do?

Thanks,
Shaun

Allan Chow June 25, 2012

Right - we actually do something similar right now. Right now, in our planning, there are two steps - reviewing the ranking of our issues and explicitly identifying stories to show up on our Kanban board. I was hoping that all we would have to do is review the ranking and avoid the second step.

Neil OHara July 15, 2015

Just wondering if there has ever been an update to this if it is now available in the cloud/latest versions.

Myles Fullen June 9, 2016

Another possibility is to use the review process as part of your workflow, so any "Open" tickets sit in the backlog until prioritised to the to-do list, at which point they are transitioned to a "Pending" status.

It is then just a matter of having a "Backlog" column containing "Open" tickets (mine includes "On Hold" as well), then a "To Do" column containing "Pending" tickets. If your backlog contains enough tickets that it begins to distort your board, you can either create a quick filter to hide them when you want to focus on current work, or just leave the "Open" status off the board entirely.

If it helps, this setup is essentially developed from the one in this page on Scrum-ban, which also uses column limits to help enforce the Kanban principle.

Arne Gerhold December 2, 2016

I have the same wish for such a top<n> filter. This would be very useful to me.

The proposed work arounds do not work out for me. All tickets are considered to be relevant and a possibility to hide automatically all tickets above a certain threshold would be very useful.

In my case I have a Kanban board with more then 100 tickets in a specific state. When I use multiple swim lanes and there are swim lanes located below the swim lane with 100 tickets in it, a lot of scrolling is required to see the swim lanes on the bottom. If I would use labels, it would of course be possible to hide most of the tickets, but this approach would cause manual work everytime a ticket changes the state.

E.g. I want to see the top 5 ranked tickets in state "Backlog". If the state of a ticket in this list changes to "In progress" the next ticket in state "backlog" shall automatically become visible instead.

Like Deleted user likes this
Priy March 4, 2019

We could also definitely use this functionality for our Kanban board. Now we have to explicitly drag something into a status so that it shows up. That often triggers small discussions where team members would like to have an issue in to-do rather than on top of the backlog. By limiting the whole backlog and showing only the top X, this problem can be avoided and the team can solely focus on the priority of each issue.

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer