JIRA QUEUE: Warning: Sending mail is disabled

sam engr May 22, 2012

I have upgraded my jria to jira 4.4.5. I have configured new smtp server. Verified a test email as well and then sent and email to a group all worked fine. But when I create a ticket emails are stuck in queue. In mail Queue as shown in image I can see a Warning: Sending mail is disabled

From where I can enable this?

Many thanks in advance.

Soh

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
zahira.melendez October 12, 2012

As a follow up to pjesi's post, in my SDK I added the systemPropertyVariables in the pom.xml as below and it worked:

<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<groupId>com.atlassian.maven.plugins</groupId>
<artifactId>maven-jira-plugin</artifactId>
<version>3.7.2</version>
<extensions>true</extensions>
<configuration>
<productVersion>${jira.version}</productVersion>
<productDataVersion>${jira.version}</productDataVersion>
<systemPropertyVariables>
<atlassian.mail.senddisabled>false</atlassian.mail.senddisabled>
</systemPropertyVariables>
</configuration>
</plugin>

</plugins>

</build>

Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2012

The problem is that this does not work with atlas-run-standalone

2 votes
sam engr May 22, 2012

It was disabled from

JAVA_OPTS="-Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=true

Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2012

how did you enable it?

Andrew Zakordonets September 18, 2014

You can run it as atlas-run-standalone --product jira --jvmargs '-Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=false'

dualed March 23, 2015

the above comment (atlas-run-standalone --product jira --jvmargs '-Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=false') worked perfectly for me, thank you

Tam Tran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2015

@Andrew Zakordonets's comment should be an accepted answer. Thank you!

Patrick October 4, 2019

If I run this, all I have is Jira Core, anyway to run this and get Jira Software?

1 vote
Andrew Ardill
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2013

Just an update for anyone new coming to this question, in the latest JIRA there is way to disable outgoing mail from the UI.

Navigate to the outgoing mail configuration panel, and ensure that outgoing mail is enabled.

0 votes
sam engr August 10, 2012
I have answered it already. In my case I configured a second test server for jira I disabled emails by calling send.disabled=true in JAVA_OPTS so people shouldn't get emails from test server. Sam
Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2012

I was using the SDK and it didn't work there. But I managed to get it to work by adding as <systemPropertyVariables> in pom.xml

barbosa_s_alexandre September 7, 2017

Hi.

The solution above works running the command atlas-debug? I put the following code

<systemPropertyVariables>
<atlassian.mail.senddisabled>false</atlassian.mail.senddisabled>
</systemPropertyVariables>

in the pom.xml (the pom.xml of the plugin that I'm developing) but when I go to the Administration > Outgoing Mail, a message is displayed in the top of the page.

Outgoing mail was disabled with the -Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=true JVM argument before JIRA was started. JIRA cannot send email until you remove the JVM argument and restart JIRA

Anyone has a solutions for this? I'm using the sdk 6.2.14, with jira 7.2.2.

Thanks

barbosa_s_alexandre September 7, 2017

I found a way to do that: execute the command

atlas-debug --jvmargs -Datlassian.mail.senddisabled=false

Thanks

Suggest an answer