JIRA-Python performance

Raanan Catz April 17, 2016

Hi,

Recently, I met performance issues when try read JIRA issues via jira-python. The performance is much slower than web. 

Does anyone met the same problem too?

Any suggestion how to solve it?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 vote
Sorin Sbarnea July 24, 2016

Sorry but if you want to get any help you will have to debug the problem and provide specific information regarding what operations are slow. You question is asking for bulling, is like going to a Microsoft forum and complaining that Windows 8 is slow (with no other information).

Python JIRA is nothing more than a (nice) REST wrapper for JIRA and I am pretty sure that 95% of the executing time is spend waiting for the server responses. Enable debug mode and you can see yourself what is happening. 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2016

More efficient python code?  That's a bit of a joke, but the point here is that we don't know what the "slow" means.  If JIRA is responding well in the web interface, then there's nothing wrong on that side (the REST interface is generally slightly faster than the web interface because it's plain text being exchanged, there's no javascript being run or images flying around).  But it may be throttled to stop overloading.  I'm afraid you basically need to test everything to find out which bits are being slow and why.

thekngmkr2015 July 19, 2016

Facing same issue. If i pull the information using JIRA-python its really slow to respond.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2016

Same answer, sorry.  You need to do the network debugging and define where the "slow" is.

thekngmkr2015 July 19, 2016

Hi Nic,

Using rest call, the information from JIRA is suppose to be retrieved faster.

But instead it takes approx one minute to pull the information, where as using browser its matter of seconds.

This issue is only with jira-python.. if i use urllib to the information, it is faster. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2016

There's your answer then - jira-python is slow, not JIRA.  The REST interface doesn't care what makes the call into it, it just responds to what is asked of it.  If one program gets data from it quickly, and another does not, you need to look at the slow program to establish why it is slow.

Try timing responses to the python requests and compare them with identical requests made over curl though - that might help tell you something, even if you just find out that your python requests are being made more complex by what you're routing them through.

0 votes
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2016

What code are you using to read the issue? And are you accessing it from the same URL and the network that you're accessing JIRA through the browser with?

Suggest an answer