JIRA-Python: How can I pass user inputs in Jira issue search?

I'm trying to get information based on the input provided by user and then passing it in a function which gives back the issues created. But I'm not able to pass the objects in search_issue query?

def issuecreated(projectname, reportername, datefrom, dateto):
print projectname, reportername, datefrom, dateto
for i in jira.search_issues('project = projectname AND reporter = reportername AND created > datefrom and created < dateto'):
return i

projectname=raw_input("Please give the project name: ")
reportername=raw_input("Please provide the name of creator: ")
datefrom=raw_input("Please provide the time interval for which you want issues: From ")
dateto=raw_input("Please provide the time interval for which you want issues: To ")
print projectname, reportername, datefrom, dateto
issuecreated(projectname, reportername, datefrom, dateto)

I'm able to see the inputs in the function by it is not getting passed in jira.search_issues.

Please help.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 vote

Create a string that is made up of the JQL you know and the input from users. Then pass that string to jira.search_issues()

"Static text %s" % variablename

Thanks for the input!

I tried to pass the string into jira.search_issues(), but it throws error, jira.exceptions.JIRAError on jira.search_issue() line. Here is what I did.

query = 'project = projectname AND reporter = reportername AND created > datefrom and created < dateto'

for i in jira.search_issues(query):
print i

I have given the encoding magic comments to convert Unicode.

It works now, thanks!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

271 views 4 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you