JIRA Project Permissions Questions

Kevin Ramos October 17, 2018

Hi there,

I work for a company and us testers are looking to customize our Jira project. Adding new fields, renaming fields, installing add-ons, etc.

We have full support from our directors to do so (the director is the project lead). He told us to reach out to our company's System Admins to get permissions. 

The System Admins say they are unable to do so and we have to reach out to Atlassian to make changes. One of our big things is we want to add new text fields for our issues. We just have a Description box, but we want to add Steps to Reproduce, Notes, and others.

Is this something the Project Lead can do? The System Admins? Only Atlassian? Can the Project Lead give us the permission to do so? We just want to clarification. 

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2018

JIRA is designed to share issues, screens, workflows, fields, scheme, etc. between projects. If you don't know what is being used by other projects, which the JIRA admin should, you may impact other projects. I suggest you write up your requirements and give them to the current administrators There are several problems that can arise and best practices to follow so you don't end up hurting yourselves down the road. 

Kevin Ramos October 18, 2018

Right now we have the default Jira experience. Default workflow screen. Default statuses. Only a Description text field. 

I look at other projects in our company and I see they have things customized to their project needs. Unique statuses, workflow screens, additional text fields in issues. Unique Affects Versions.

My confusion stems from my local Admin saying that we have to write a list of our needs and it has to be submitted to Atlassian Admin for implementation. All changes. That makes no sense to me. Is that true? 

This is what I'm struggling to understand. I don't think they are aware of Jira enough to say that.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2018

JIRA should be treated like any other application requiring changes or updates. Ideally there should be a formal CR process detailing the work needed in writing and reviewed by the JIRA admin and any other users that may be impacted by the requested change. I don't know about the local/atlassian admin issue unless you're being hosted by Atlassian. 

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2018

Hello,

Are you on Jira Cloud or Server?

Basically all changes are done by Jira Administrators.

Kevin Ramos October 17, 2018

How do I find out if it's Cloud or Server? We log into Jira.companyname.com.

Are Jira Administators internal to our company? or at Atlassian proper? 

I'm asking because our Administrators themselves are saying they can't. They say only Atlassian are able to add a simple text field to issues. That certainly can't be the case right?

Would our Project lead be the head project administrator?

Our Admins are being much help... Just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2018

It means you are on Server.

Adding new fields, renaming fields, installing add-ons can be done by Jira administrators, not by project Administrators.

Jira administrators are internal Administrators, not Atlassian.

Though you can not rename system fields like summary, description and so on.

Suggest an answer