JIRA Project Import

srinivas charan mamidi February 9, 2016

Hi,

i want to import JIRA 6 project into JIRA 7. 

but while i am trying to import the  ZIP file(exported from JIRA6) to JIRA7 it is showing "This data appears to be from an older version of JIRA. Please upgrade the data and try again. The current version of JIRA is at build number '70119', but the supplied backup file was for build number '64014'."

as per the documentation "https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/restoring-a-project-from-backup-185729444.html"  we have to follow below steps to fix this.

If your backup file was created in an earlier version of JIRA than your target instance of JIRA:

1. Set up a test JIRA instance, which is the same version as your target instance of JIRA. Make sure that the test JIRA instance uses a separate database and index from your target JIRA instance.
  2. Import the backup file into a test JIRA instance. (This will completely overwrite the test instance.)
  3. Create a new backup file from your test JIRA instance. You can now use this backup to import a specific project into your target production instance.

but how to Set up a test JIRA instance ? 

what are the steps to Set up a test JIRA instance ? 

1 answer

1 vote
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2016

Project  import wont work if source and destination  JIRA instances are on different versions.

Get a new server, install JIRA 7 on it , point it to a test database, get a trial licence and then do a restore from xml of export taken from JIRA 6. 

This will automaatically upgrade your JIRA to jira7 and then you can do project import.

Rahul

srinivas charan mamidi February 10, 2016

Hi Rahul, thanks for your response...

i have new JIAR 7 server (without any data and not trail licence), i tried to import <year>.ZIP (consists two xml files acitiveobjects.xml,entities.xml)generated by JIRA 6. failed.

can i restore JIRA7(newly installed, no data,not trail licence,using embedded database) using export taken from JIRA6 ?

Srinivas Charan Mamidi

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2016

if this process has failed, then try installing JIRA 6 on your test environment (with no data) and then do a xml import (with JIRA 6 data) thiswill surely pass.

Once you have your test instance with your own production replica data, do theupgrade to JIRA 7. 

Then do the project import

All the best

Rahul

Suggest an answer