JIRA Project Import Error

Ariel Rosa April 22, 2015

Hello guys,

i'm doing a project import on JIRA using the Project Inport tool of the system, but i'm getting a weird error that I can't find an explanation anywhere.

Error: 

• The existing project with key 'XXXX' contains 'XXXXXXX' issues. You can not import a backup project into a project that contains existing issues.

Capturar 2.JPG

Capturar.JPG
Could you guys give me a hand?

Thanks a bunch for any tips 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2015

Hi Ariel,

That is actually a pretty straight forward error. You can only restore projects from backup:

• Into a project with no issues;
  • If the project with the same name/key does not exist.

I hope this helps!

Thats the thing, I got a project with no Issues created, but I still get the error =(

Got it, i was being a noob. Thanks for the tip heheh :D

Orso Grigio October 14, 2016

Wow, Matheus, you're really a genius! Thank you for not helping anybody.

Venu Madhav August 14, 2018

Hi,

I have a basic question that.

What is the importance of importing a project without issues?

project import is for migrating issues only right?

Kindly clarify.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2018

That is not what the question was about.  The import could only import issues into an empty project.

Hi Nic, 

Thank you so much for quick response.

Actually now I am trying to import a project but it is throwing the following error.

This is a bit urgent, Kindly help me.

• import error.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2018

I'm not going to repeat what the error says.  Please read it.

Actually I have created an empty project named "Image Server" with key and tried to import the same project from backup but it is throwing the above error.

I am not sure how to fix it. Much thanks if this can be fixed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2018

No, you have not.  Again, as the error message says, the project is not empty. 

0 votes

Yah, that was the error. Thanks a bunch =)

Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2018

@Ariel Rosa did you resolved this. I don't have issues in project but still getting the same error while import.

Thanks,

Om

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2015

Have you verified that there aren't any other projects with the same key? If you don't have any issues created, can you try just deleting the project and then doing the import? 

Suggest an answer