JIRA Project - How/Where can I extract the issues data for custom report use?

edward huang February 4, 2021

Hi all,

Our team currently is using JIRA for project management, we created project and issues to track our tasks and progress.

Now we want to know if there is any way we can extract the backend data, then we can use the data to do some complicate analysis or report. For example, we want to get the average execution time of each kinds of activities/transactions for the entire project, please refer to the screenshot I attached here. Is the JIRA has built in report or template that can achieve this? But so far I only see those built in report/dashboard are all on Issue's level, cannot go to the activities/transactions level.

So is there any API/Interface in JIRA that I can write code(.net/java/SQL) to connect to the backend database to extract the data for our custom reporting? If yes, who to contact and what kind of permission I need to request?

Thanks,

EdwardJira screenshot.jpg

1 answer

1 vote
Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 4, 2021

Hi @edward huang ,

You have tagged this issue as a Cloud question but your screenshot looks like an on-prem instance.

For Cloud you can refer to Cloud Rest API: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/intro/

The Rest endpoints are extensive and you'll use them with ease.

For On-prem instances, Jira doesn't have the ability to get the average execution time of each kinds of activities/transactions for the entire project out of the box.  I suggest trying Enhancer Plugin for Jira for your use case.

You can measure Time in status, Time (spent) between two statuses/events, Response Time; enjoy dedicated gadgets as Response Time, Resolution Time, Time in Status, use Enhancer custom field in your reports since these fields are sortable/searchable.

Stateoscope tab also available in Enhancer and it gives you an overall view of the issue.

Basically all KPI measurement can be done through Enhancer.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 09.54.57.png

cf-statustimer-4.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-05 at 09.53.18.png

Please let me know if you are interested.

Cheers,

Gökçe

Please

edward huang February 4, 2021

Thanks @Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire} ,  yes you are right, my case should be on-prem.

So we don't have any forms of access or API to the backend database of JIRA for on-prem?

Gökçe Gürsel {Appfire}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 4, 2021
Like Harry Kanami likes this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2021

Hi @edward huang ,

to answer the last question. You don't have direct access to Jira database.

However, you can extract data using cloud APIs https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/intro/

For example, this get issue that matches JQL API might be handy for your analytics but there is so many more. And if you would need it here is a doc on how to do a basic authentification for REST Jira Cloud APIs.

I hope this helps at least a little bit,

Nikki

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2021

Also @edward huang ,

if you're looking for custom reporting maybe instead of extracting data you can check if there is any plugin that will help your use case. That way you won't need to maintain your custom solution.

Some of the analytics plugins for Jira Cloud I found are:
Custom Charts and Reports
EazyBi 
Performance objectives
Simple custom reports and charts

Like Tom Harris - Old Street likes this
edward huang February 18, 2021

Thank you Nikki, will check them.

Suggest an answer