JIRA Portfolio does not respect Stories inside Sprints

Antônio Duarte July 14, 2017

I have a JIRA Portfolio configured to use two Scrum Boards.

While my Sprints DON'T have start and end dates, everything goes right, but at the moment that I start the Sprints and assign starting and end dates to them, JIRA Portfolio becomes inconsistent.

See the attached image:

The issue CSFDOIS-6 belongs to the Sprint "CSF2 SPrint Par 2" in my original Board Scrum. This is correctly shown by JIRA Portfolio in the lower half of the screen.

BUT, if you see at the upper half of the screen, JIRA Portfolio puts this same CSFDOIS-6 issue wrongly in the Sprint "CSF2 Sprint Além 2".

The only difference is that Sprint "CSF2 SPrint Par 2" has start and end dates, but Sprint "CSF2 Sprint Além 2" was not started yet.

And as if this was not enough, see that according the start and end dates, Sprint "CSF2 SPrint Par 2" SHOULD be visible in JIRA Portfolio screen BEFORE Sprint "CSF2 SPrint Impar 2", but it was not put there by JIRA Portfolio...

Can anyone help with these problems?

Thank you very much.

AntonioBoard Scrum com os Sprints.jpgIssue schedulada em Sprint incorreto.jpg

1 answer

1 vote
Deleted user July 18, 2017

I don't have my plan configured this way, so I'm kind of guessing.  I would first try simply clicking the Calculate button.  Portfolio doesn't seem to always calculate the plan and show it correctly whenever the page loads.  My second guess is that it looks like you started the sprint CSFDOIS Sprint Par 2, even though it hasn't reached the start date (since it's missing the Start Sprint button).  Normally Portfolio will show dummy sprints for planning purposes and they're just named Sprint 2, Sprint 3, Sprint 4, etc.  I don't know how it handles a started sprint where the start date hasn't been reached yet, but that's my guess as to why that sprint is missing from the plan.

Antônio Duarte July 19, 2017

Hi, Steven,

Thanks for your reply. Please, see my coments:

In fact, I HAD clicked the Calculate button, so your first guess could not be considered.

You are right when you say that I started a Sprint with a Start Date in the future. I did that, because I want to assign Start and End Dates to all my sprints (as my planning rules). And the only way I saw that I was able to assign dates to these fields was after clicking on the Start Sprint button. It would be fine, but I don't know how to set these date fields WITHOUT clicking on Start Sprint. By the images, you can see that in Sprint Além 2 (that was NOT started), I have NO access to these fields.

If I have the possibility of setting these fields without starting the sprint, I guess I can have the solution for this problem.

Deleted user July 19, 2017

Just curious, is there a reason why you need to create actual future sprints in JIRA Software (apart from Portfolio)?

Antônio Duarte July 19, 2017

LOL! This is the behaviour determined by the client we are working on: they need to plan the contents and the periods of each sprint (and they have multiple projects), but their decision on dates and contents goes directly on the sprints.

Then, they want to see these sprints spread on the JIRA Portfolio screen to see them spread along the calendary.

Once seen this, they will decide for the best Program Integration start and end dates. Their Program Integration is a more broad date ranges and "groups" all the Sprints that will take place during this time.

This concept of Program Integration comes from the SAFe methodology that they want to use JIRA Portfolio to help them with.

Antônio Duarte July 20, 2017

As I'm not so sure: @[deleted], are you still thinking in some options about this issue?

Thanks.

Antonio.

Deleted user July 20, 2017

I would delete the future sprint you had started and recreate it first, just to confirm that is the reason why it doesn't show up in your plan's timeline.

Otherwise I would just let Portfolio manage the dates for you.  Assuming you do consistent iterations it should work fine.  It takes the current sprint's end date and starts Sprint 2 a day after, Sprint 3 two weeks after that, and so on.  You can check these dates in Portfolio by clicking the sprint in your timeline view (in your second screenshot where you have "CFSDOIS Sprint Alem 2" circled).

Suggest an answer