JIRA Pie Chart Gadget Displays Mutiple Entries for Single Custom Field

Gary Pasquale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2016

Hi,

I've configured the Pie Chart gadget in JIRA to use a very simple JQL query (like the one below)

project = "Project A" AND "Custom Field A" = Yes

However, when displaying via the Pie Chart gadget on a dashboard splits the results in to 2 entries. Both called 'Yes'.

The total of both entries are the same as the total returned in the JQL query. So all Issues are being displayed on the gadget, but for some unknown reason the gadget is splitting them up.

If I select one of the dashboard entries to take me back to the Issues in the Issue Navigator, the number of Issues found remains the same but the query has changed to:

project = "Project A" AND "Custom Field A" = Yes AND "Custom Field A" = Yes

Has anyone seen this before? Any idea why this would be happening?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Gary.

4 answers

1 vote
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2019

My vote is with @Peter-Dave Sheehan - Sometimes, one project has 5 options and the other has only 4, but I need the names to be identical.

So I also think it's a wrong design.

What is really needed here is a checkbox that will say 'aggregate identical values across field contexts' and everyone will be happy.

From past experience, I wouldn't hold my breath on such a feature request...

1 vote
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

What I think @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] is trying to get at is that each custom field can have multiple contexts (for defining different option values for specific projects and issue type).

If a custom field has 2 or more context configuration with identical option values, the pie chart gadget will group on the underlying id of each option, not the option's display value or label. I think this is probably an incorrect design.

For example, from my custom fields screen, I click on the cog for my field and select "Configure".

I have 2 different context with the same values. Overlayed on the image, I've added the option value id as stored in the database to demonstrate the the values are different.

image2017-3-16 10:14:53.png

The solution is to either get unique values in your two contexts, or consider merging the two contexts. Note that this is not trivial as after you delete the context, all issues that had values defined will lose those values and will have to be re-applied. A groovy script could be generated to do that but it would be a little conplex.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

I think we moved past that point, but you do put it very well.

Problem though - it's not a design flaw - A in context 1 is not the same as A in context 2.  They're separate items that just happen to have the same name.

Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2017

I think that as a user, I don't care what the underlying contexts are.

In a graphical representation and grouping, I think the grouping should be based on the displayed value. That how most BI tools I've ever used do.

Like Amir Katz (Outseer) likes this
0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2017

Do you have two custom fields with the same name being used in the screens of that project?

Scott McDonald February 23, 2017

No and I even confirmed no other field is using that fieldID

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 2, 2016

I assume the pie chart is reporting on the custom field?  Do you have two entries for "yes"?

Gary Pasquale
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2016

No. The context on this Custom Field only has 3 values.

Yes

No

Self service

My JQL query is just looking for the value 'Yes' on Project A.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2016

Ok, and what is the statistic type?

Juan Manuel Herrera June 17, 2016

I have similar issue and this is something happening for a field that have more than 5 contexts for different projects - My pie chart gadget shows duplicates for same vale something like below

My value      6

My value     4

other values 1

So if I hit the link for the for the filter this actually shows a total of 10 for "My value". So the issue is only on the representation for the pie chart.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2016

You'll need to show us the exact config for the field and the results from filterst hat summarise what eh pie chart might be trying to show you.

Scott McDonald February 22, 2017

Has anyone responded?  I'm experiencing the same issue.

Within the pie chart, I am choosing a Project rather than a filter and a Statistic Type, however, I am experiencing multiple entries in the display for the same field.  See Juan Manuel's comment from June 17

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2017

Could you tell us about the statistic you are selecting?  What type of field is it, and what contexts does it have?

The field (lets call it Field A) is a Select List (single choice) with 4 contexts to choose from - public, internal, sensitive, restricted.  When I add a pie graph to a dashboard and select my project the statistic type of "Field A", I have 'restricted' appearing twice.  I then will click on restricted and it brings me to a filter (which seems basic) of project = project A and field A = restricted.  One thing I did notice is the restricted value that appears twice each have a different color assigned to them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2017

Sorry, by context, I was looking for the field context, not the option list.  Is it a global field, or does it have assorted contexts?

Here is what I'm seeing under the Available Context list: Issue type(s):Global (all issues)Project(s):

Side note, if I select cog --> configure, there are 7 config schemes.  Does that have anything to do with it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2017

Possibly.  Is, "restricted" available in more than one of the contexts?

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 4.13.21 PM.png

Yes, it's available in all 7 config schemes but each one of those config schemes is assigned a project.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2017

Hmm, ok, so when you click on each of the two "restricted" links on the pie chart, do you get the same set of results each time?

Scott McDonald February 27, 2017

Yes, each of the restricted links displays the following JQL: project = 13800 AND "Vendor Data Classification Type" = Restricted

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 2, 2017

And does each click give exactly the same list of issues?

If so, could you pick one of those issues and show us the custom field section?

Scott McDonald March 3, 2017

Yes, for example, one of the "restricted" values in the graph displays the number 14 and there's a second "restricted" that displays the number 4.  When I click on both of the "restricted" text, it displays 18 total issues.  Attached is the list of my custom field section.  Is there a different section you're looking for? 

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 9.02.25 AM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2017

I meant the custom field section - the fields and their contents.

Scott McDonald March 6, 2017

What's the most efficient way to retrieve those?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2017

Look at the plain issue view you get from https://yourjira/browse/ABC-123

Scott McDonald March 7, 2017

The issue type and ticket/information in question contains a fair amount of proprietary information and could be considered confidential.  I'm not to keen on posting it here so what do you suggest.  What are you ultimately wanting to see?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2017

We need to see a screenshot of the custom field section that includes the field you're struggling with and to know the issue type.  None of the text stuff though - I imagine knowing that vendor "dave" is "restricted" might be sensitive, but if you don't show us "dave", just the classification field, it should be ok.

Suggest an answer