JIRA Permissions

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2013

How do I create a read only group for a user? The fact that they are in the JIRA Users group will give them certain rights, correct? Do I change the permissions on JIRA Users, or is there a better way to administer this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2013

Hi James,

I guess what you meant by read only group is to have a set of users that are able to only view issues without the permission to perform other tasks like commet or add attachmentss right? In that case I will advice you create a group in JIRA say "read-only", associate that group to the JIRA user global permission so that they can atleast have access to JIRA (Log in to JIRA). You can then configure project permission scheme in such a way that read-only group is granted only the "browse project" permissions

Regards,

Sultan

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2013

Sultan, Thanks for the help, I am unsure how to implement the project permission scheme as I already have them in place for this project. How would you suggest implementing in this case. Thanks for your help. I have added everything else like you have suggested.

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2013

Sultan, I think I get what you mean, but do to the fact I already have a scheme set up with the jira-user role "users" it is proving to be a bit problematic in that it seems I will need to change the scheme. Thanks for the help

Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2013

Hi James,

You are most welcome. Actually there is no much need to make muh changes to the project permissions scheme in that users that belong to the jira-userss group will continue to enjoy their priviledges. You just need to add the read-only group to the browse project permission and ensure that the affected users only belong to the read-only group.

Suggest an answer