JIRA Permission scheme query in JIRA v 7.2.9

Aishwarya Vijayaraj June 2, 2017

Hi,

Our organization has recently migrated to JIRA v7.2.9 and while browsing through the atlassain documentation i got to know that we can grant persmissions to groups directly in the schemes for administering and managing sprints. So i have modified a shared permission scheme to ADOM groups specific to our portfolio projects so that some of users can have elevated access to manage sprints across boards.

But now there is an issue reported by one of the admins of a project that he does not have permissions to manage sprints in his project.

The user is admin for the project but not in the groups. Does it mean the user should be part of both role and group?

I tried using the permissions helper to check for his access and got the following. 

Status Summary Details

Project Role

Fred is a member of the Administrators project role

Group

Fred is not in any of these groups: XXX,YYY

You can change this by going to Fred;s group's admin and adding that user to the mentioned group(s)

If so i would like to understand if the permissions work based on condition like Project Roles AND Groups and not Project Roles OR Groups??

Note :- There are no issues from other projects tied to this board or sprint too.

Experts - waiting for your answers.

Thanks in Advance,

Aish

1 answer

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2017

Hi Aish, 

The user should be in either the Group OR project role. But to be able to manage sprint a user needs Schedule permissions. So if Fred only has Project Administrator permissions you'll have to add Schedule permissions to the administrator role in the Permission Scheme as well. 

Hope this helps. 

Best, 

Maarten

Aishwarya Vijayaraj June 4, 2017

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for your reply.

But all the permissions are enabled for Admininstrator role and Fred is part of it for this project.

If i understood your point right about "Schedule Issues" permission then, administrators role is part of it. 

What else could be the problem?

Thanks,

Aish

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2017

Hi Aish,

Well to be able to start, stop or create sprints the person needs Schedule permissions on every project that has issues on the board. So you should take a look at the filter of the board and see if it also could contain issues from another project and check the permissions there.

Let us know if this helps.

Best,

Maarten

Suggest an answer