JIRA - Out Of Office warning, User not Assignable

Olivier Gwynn March 11, 2013

Hi,

Is there a way to temporary not being able to assign an issue to a user in JIRA (for example when he/she is on vacation and sets this status)?

It is not that easy to ask for another user to check his/her open issues orto create a new filter each time on a specific user when creation date = time when he's/she's on vacation.

Thanks for your ideas.

Olivier

4 answers

2 votes
Glenn Giese April 16, 2020

Let me understand this. I have to purchase this as an extra separate piece of JIRA?

Seems like it should be one of the top 10 things included…

Glenn

0 votes
Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2019

Hi Olivier,

You may be puzzled to get an answer to such an old topic - but still many people are viewing it, so I want to add my answer for their benefit.

We have a plugin in the marketplace for Jira Cloud: Out Of Office Assistant for Jira Cloud it does add a fair amount of functionality around Agents/Users being not in the office (Messages, re-assignments, JQL etc) and even more to come.

Cheers,
Christian

0 votes
Akeles
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

Hi Olivier,

We built a plugin to handle this use case requested by a client. It allows the assignee to set the duration which he/she is on vacation and specify the covering personnel to reassign the issue to at individual project level. It also allow adding a out of office message as a comment to the issue.

You can check out the Out of Office Assistant plugin at the Atlassian Marketplace.

Hope it is useful for you.

0 votes
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 11, 2013

Hi Olivier,

You could remove the permission Assign Issues of this user, from all project schemes, but I believe the easiest approach is just disable this user for the time it's on leave and enable again when it come back.

Cheers

Olivier Gwynn March 11, 2013

Thanks for the proposals but disabling a user requires to be done by the JIRA Admins and I would prefer that the user directly can set his status as disabled or inactive

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2013

Maybe you can configure auto-reply email when on vacation? At least, the user that assigned the on-vacation-user would be notified or it will become a comment in the issue assigned. Example in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/5999/jira-users-on-vacation

Olivier Gwynn March 13, 2013

Thanks for the tip Zulfadli, that would work for the first issue (comment Out of Office from auto-reply in the corresponding ticket). But auto-replies wouldn't be sent for other tickets (eventual assigned by another user), as they are sent only once to the same incoming email address.

Suggest an answer