JIRA OnDemand and "Single Sign-On" authentication

William Ward June 5, 2012

Currently OnDemand does not support LDAP. There are no specific mentions of OpenID, SAML or RESTful authentication options which would be a good alternative for enterprises such as mine.

Is there a method of provisioning and authenticating OnDemand users other than LDAP and other than manually managing users?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Lauren Larsson June 6, 2012

Not sure if this is relevant, but my company uses Okta, which is a homepage for single sign on to many services, including Jira.

Dale Miller March 25, 2013

Lauren quick question for you. Are you using an On-Demand Jira instance with Okta? Do you have to login to Jira after clicking on the link to Jira? Are your userids in an internal AD server or in Okta itself?

Lauren Larsson March 25, 2013

Hi Dale,

Yes, we wre using Okta with on-demand. We do not have to log in to Jira after clicking the link. I am not sure where our signins are stored, but I can ask the IT team if it would help.

Yes that would be appreciated. I am curious how they got it to work as Jira doesn't support SAML. Is there someone there I can talk to to ask a few questions?

Ok Dale, I have sent my IT team the question and I will post the response when they respond. Have a good day!

Lauren

Hi Dale,

Here is the answer:

1) Our System of Record is an in-house Active Directory
2) We run an Okta connector on our Active Directory server, so Okta has access to our Active Directory
3) Okta has a plugin for Jira which creates the users and syncs info. - how Okta does this, I'm not sure.

Hope that helps!

Lauren

Excellent, thanks for the information. That helps.

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2015

The Okta single sign on Application only works with JIRA Server (On-Premises) that is using Crowd User management. This is noted in the Okta documentation here:

There are NOT currently any SSO/SAML options for JIRA cloud. The User-management system for JIRA cloud only has partial integration to google apps currently, but no cross platform login UM like LDAP integration or AD integration or systems like Okta.

There is however a feature Request Viewable HERE to SSO/SAML functionality into jira, But as noted on the Request in the most recent update to the banner:

We recognise your need for being able to integrate with SAML and it is something that we would like to eventually implement, but it is not something we're currently working on.

So, If SSO/SAML environment is curtail to your integration to JIRA the only option currently available is for self hosted JIRA Server installs.

0 votes
Neeta Dubey July 21, 2013

Dear Dale,

I also need your help in implementation of SSO in ondemand instance of JIRA.PLease let me know what all information you need so i can get it done for my organistaion too.

Suggest an answer