JIRA Notification scheme - email notification not sent when creating issue with assignee same as reporter

Brian Wylie January 10, 2014

Hi,

Is there a setting somewhere for notifications schemes to allow for sending of a notification email if an issue is created if the assignee is the same as the reporter?

A user has requested this functionality. Other than this, the notifications seem to be working without a problem on issue creation (ie user A creates issue assigned to user B - both gets emails).

JIRA 6.0.5 standalone on an Ubuntu server.

Many thanks,

Brian

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brian Wylie February 8, 2014

Andy answered the question - user preference

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2014

Please mark answered questions as answered!

Brian Wylie February 10, 2014

Andy, I'd love to do that but I cannot see ANY way to do that. How do I mark the question as answered? By upvoting? It's really not clear. There is no button on your initial response (or anywhere else anywhere on the entire page) to say that your response answered my question. See screenshot attached.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2014

Hmm. At first, I thought this was a bug, but actually it's not.

Answers only lets a few people mark an answer as "correct". Basically, the administrators and the person who asked the question.

At a glance, you should be able to do it, and the screenshot indicates a problem. However, you've logged in as two different accounts... To mark it right, you need to log in with the account that asked the question.

(Hover over the name links to see the difference in urls - same name, different IDs)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2014

No. The notification schemes say basically "on event A send mail to B". There's no support for more complex "exclude/include by arbitrary if/then/else rules" in there.

Of course, you could always look into coding... Turn off the notification for "created" and write/find a listener to catch the created event, look at the data to compare with this rule and send as appropiate.

Brian Wylie January 10, 2014

Thanks for the reply Nic. But what you're implying is saying that it SHOULD send by default to the assignee if that person is the same as the reporter - there should NOT be some convoluted rule to say if that under these circumstances it should not send.

So why isn't it sending then? That is what we want.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2014

If the assignee is the same as the reporter, the user preference to 'dont notify me of my actions comes int play.'. Its a user preference, JIRA would send it if the user preferred it. Overriding user preferences in that case is something else.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 10, 2014

No, I'm saying the exact opposite of that. It mails who you name in the notification scheme. End of story.

"if assignee is the same as repoorter" is a "convoluted rule", and it does not do that.

I think you need to look at who you have named to get the "issue created" emails in your notification scheme and then follow the logic through there.

(It does de-duplicate by the way - if your scheme says "notify person x for 4 different reasons, it'll only send one email. And it can supress emails sent to the person doing the action - you don't really want to be told that you've just done something!)

Brian Wylie January 24, 2014

Thank you Andy, that solved the problem. Appreciate the answer.

Suggest an answer