JIRA Menu Bar Disappears After Editing Issue

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2014

I have some JIRA users that are experiencing behavior where after editing/commenting on an Issue, the JIRA menu bar at the top of the screen disappears.

When I say menu bar I mean this:

The page renders such that the menu bar does not appear anywhere on the page. Here is a screenshot snippet of what they see.

From the looks of this, it appears as if the resulting page has rendered on top of the menu bar. You can see this in the top right corner of the screenshot.

We are using JIRA 5.1 and so far this behavior is intermittent. I've asked what specific tasks the users were performing when this occurred. The answers vary from editing the description of an existing issue to commenting on an issue. Also browser usage is latest versions of Firefox or Chrome.

As far as addon-ons go, I do not have any user-installed add-ons that affect themeing:

I checked for errors in atlassian-jira.log, but I don't see anything that stands out as a problem.

Has anyone experienced this behavior before? Any thoughts or suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

-- Stephen

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2014

Due to the intermittent nature of this issue and the fact that we are running an older version of JIRA, I'm going to chalk this up to being an idiosyncracy of this version. We'll be performing an upgrade later this summer and will look to see if this continues to occur.

0 votes
Russ McFatter December 28, 2016

I've seen this problem too.  Some popup menus under the tool bar fail to appear.  I can see a hint of their shadow just under the toolbar when this happens; it's persistent (once the behavior starts it's reproducible), and it clears up temporarily if reopened in a new window or tab ("Open Link in New Tab"), but a refresh alone doesn't resolve it.

I also suspect that the editor popup is involved.  I see errors in the console log that are likely relevant: looks as though some of JIRA's scripting needs some attention.

DEPRECATED JS - Cookie has been deprecated since 5.8.0 and will be removed in a future release. Use cookie instead.   
batch.js:259:148
"RPC: request rejected (bad origin): https://whoslooking.herokuapp.com"  batch.js:446:165
WARN: 'triggerPrivacyPolicySafeEvent' has been deprecated  batch.js:446:165
"RPC: request rejected (bad origin): https://whoslooking.herokuapp.com" batch.js:446:165
AJS's create element functionality has been deprecated since 5.9.0.
No alternative will be provided.
Use document.createElement() or jQuery.parseHTML(), or preferably use a templating library.  batch.js:248:462

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2014

Sure, one more thing Stephen: Logs will not tell you a lot unless you turn on the log levels to error or debug with referenced section in Admin>logging and profiling. You might want to modify the log levels and keep watching logs after that.

Also, there is an error in JIRA which is a known issue about comments being hung, that is also causing errors.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31786

Similar menu bar issue happened to me in the past and what I also did was to:

1. Stop Tomcat
  2. Delete the contents (NOT THE WORK FOLDER ITSELF) of "work" folder in Tomcat installation directory
  3. Restart Tomcat
  4. Reindex

And it did work resolving strange menu behavior.

Mehmet

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 27, 2014

Hi Stephen,

Try to do a full index and check if that works. If not, a restart and reindex.

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2014

Thank you for this suggesiton, however we've tried this in the past and did not change the behavior.

With how intermittent this is and the fact that we're running an older version of JIRA, it might make sense for us to wait until we have the time to update.

But if there are any other thoughts as to why this might happen, that'd be great.

Thanks again.

Suggest an answer