JIRA Manual Number Series

T G August 29, 2012

Hi,

Is it possible to pick a number manually for a new issue in a Project? For example I want to integate with a helpdesk (say zendesk or freshdesk) but I want that help desk number to be the same number in JIRA. So if I have a help desk project with e.g. HD- prefix and the help desk is on help desk number #50 I want the JIRA number to be HD-50 when integrated.

Has anyone any experience of this sort of configuration?

Thanks,

Tim

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2012

No. Jira uses sequential numbering, end of story.

If you were immensely careful, you could line the numbers up by not allowing creation of issues in a project by any means other than the external system, but that system would have to be sequential, and guarantee that every issue is duplicated perfectly.

Most people deal with external systems by adding an "external system reference" custom field and populating that.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

Yes, custom field for remote tracked id is the way to go. tricky for manual creation, however with the right, ahem, email handler like JEMH, you could make the association so that notifications regarding case 12123123 gets appended to issue ABC-123 due to 12123123 being in a custom field.

Suggest an answer