[JIRA] Mail notification is not sent out when a comment is added from Edit screen

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2013

Steps to re-create:

1. Create an issue or open an existing issue.
  2. Click 'Edit' button.
  3. Add a comment. Do not change any of the other fields.
  4. Click 'Update' button.

I have double checked the notification scheme for 'Issue Commented' and 'Issue Updated' events, and for both recipients are associated.

A notification e-mail is not sent. Is this normal or a bug?

9 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Riada April 25, 2013

Hi Sameera,
Have you verified your outgoing mail server settings?
Does JIRA send out notifications on other events (other than "Issue Commented" and "Issue Updated"?
Do you have any custom build events or listeners managing notifications?
Do you use any notification related plugins?

The fact that it doesn't end up in the mail queue means that the event isn't fetched by any listener or service.

The logs should say something about this...

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2013

Hi Tommy,

I have verified outgoing mail settings. They are OK.

For other events JIRA sends e-mails. Also, in following situations JIRA sends e-mails.

1. A comment is added by clicking the 'Comment' button on the top or bottom of the issue view screen. (not through the edit screen)
  2. In the issue edit screen, modify any field (summary, priority, labels, etc.).

We have custom events and event listeners. However these have no relationship with the standard events. Event listners just capture the custom events.

We do not use any notification related plugins. I must have a look at the logs as you have mentioned.

Thanks!

Pratik Rawlekar May 26, 2020

Hi Sameera,

I am not able to receive mails for event notification. In Notification Helper, it show that event has been triggered and recipient received an email but which is not the case. Even the mail is not queued in Mail queue.

I tried to send test email which is working fine.

Can you let me know what all steps you followed? 

Thanks!

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

Is the jfs plugin installed including the patch? Please see here

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

We have already installed the patch.

Thanks!

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

Can you disable the jfs plugin and see if this problem is gone. If so, I guess you need some support from quisapps.

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2013

Yes, once JFS is disabled the mail was sent, but the exception still appeared. We have forwarded this to QuisApps.

http://www.quisapps.com/node/269

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

I checked the logs and found these lines. Looks like the problem is with a plugin we have installed in our test system.

2013-04-26 13:35:12,887 http-8080-4 WARN shaakunthala 815x562x1 11ey1dq 172.25.94.211 /secure/QuickEditIssue.jspa [labs.remoteapps.webhook.WebHookRegistrationManager] Failed to publish web-hooks for event com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent
java.lang.NullPointerException

2013-04-26 13:35:12,977 http-8080-4 ERROR shaakunthala 815x562x1 11ey1dq 172.25.94.211 /secure/QuickEditIssue.jspa [jira.fieldsecurity.mail.JFSMailQueueImpl] 

2013-04-26 13:35:12,980 http-8080-4 ERROR shaakunthala 815x562x1 11ey1dq 172.25.94.211 /secure/QuickEditIssue.jspa [jira.fieldsecurity.mail.JFSMailQueueImpl] 

0 votes
Riada April 25, 2013

Yeah, the logs might help us here.
Remember that you can increase the logging level if needed : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+and+Profiling

The "Issue Updated" should trigger a notification if everything is setup correctly.

Let us know what the logs says.

Br

Tommy

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

Looks like there's a problem with a plugin. I'll add highlights of the logs as a comment to the question.

Thanks!

Normann P_ Nielsen _Netic_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2013

Hi, please notice this: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/221270/jira-not-firing-issue-commented-on-incomming-mail

I AM aware the situation is not the same, but JIRA does have a wierd way of handling "Issue Updated" and "Issue Commented"..

The question is weather JIRA thinks is "Issues Edited" or "Issue Commented" - a test onmy 6.1 instance, it gives a "updated an issue" for Your senario....even though he commented it...

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

if there are no mails queued it is likely that an error has occured before. Please check the atlassian-logs if you find something at the time when the mails should have been sent.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

I did not check the logs (catalina). However, during multiple attempts, I immediately viewed the Mail Queue after each update is made. There were no e-mails queued.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

do you see any errors in the logs?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

I have already set this value to 'Notify me'. But the e-mails are not being sent.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2013

was the recipient the one who made the comment. Please check if the user has in his profile "Do not notify me" under my changes.

Suggest an answer