JIRA Mail Service Not Adding attachments when creating a new JIRA Ticket

Shareworks IT December 25, 2012

Hello:

I have several mail servers/ services currently rrunning in JIRA 4.1. We use them to auto create a JIRA when a Fax is sent to a particular mailbox... Jira polls the mailbox every (x) minutes and then uses the mail service to create a JIRA ticket (we refer to this as a Fax JIRA ticket). They are all identically configured, but one of the Services creates a JIRA but somehow loses (or parses out) the Attachment (which is the actual fax iteself). I have deleted and rebuilt the Mail server and corresponding service, but it has had no effect. I tested our other Mail Servers/ Services and they are working correctly.

When I log into the email box (on our Microsoft Exchange Server) that the JIRA "service" polls from, I can see the email and the attachment coming into the mailbox, as well as leaving the mailbox, but when the Jira ticket is created, there is no attachment.

Oddly enough, after trying for several hours, suddenly this JIRA "service" also does not hold my "delay" changes. EG: I had originally set the delay to poll the Exchange mailbox every 1 minute for testing, but I wanted the email to spend more time in the mailbox before being sent to Jira, so I changed the "delay" to 3 and 5 minutes, but neither delay change was applied, the mailbox was still clearing the message immediately. Not sure if it is related, but I I thought it was worth mentioning.

I Would appreciate any help/ guidance. Our staff relies on these mail queues for financial based transactions and ticket creation.

Thanks

Arif

5 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

Looks to be the same.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2013

Hmm, could you have run into https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-17004 ?

0 votes
Shareworks IT January 1, 2013

This issue remains unresolved.

the JIRA logs show the following Output from the logfile:

[root@yyc-linux04 log]# grep "FAX - CapMX" atlassian-jira.log

2012-12-21 11:07:51,536 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-2 WARN ServiceRunner Create Issues for FAX - XXXXX [com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'multipart/mixed;

2012-12-21 11:07:51,544 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-2 WARN ServiceRunner Create Issues for FAX - XXXXX [com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'application/octet-stream; name="FAX-2012-12-21 10_05_18.pdf"

2012-12-26 09:47:51,715 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-3 WARN ServiceRunner Create Issues for FAX - XXXXX [com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'multipart/mixed;

2012-12-26 09:47:51,720 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-3 WARN ServiceRunner Create Issues for FAX - XXXXX[com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'application/octet-stream; name="FAX-2012-12-26 08_46_29.pdf"

2012-12-26 10:23:51,800 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-3 WARN ServiceRunner Create Issues for FAX - XXXXX [com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'multipart/mixed;

2012-12-26 10:23:51,805 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-3 WARN ServiceRunner Create Issues for FAX - XXXXX [com.atlassian.mail.MailUtils] Unable to extract text from MIME part with Content-Type 'application/octet-stream; name="FAX-2012-12-26 09_18_30.pdf"

[root@yyc-linux04 log]#

The "delay Time" Change issue, seems to have resolved itself and is no longer a related issue.

Any additional assistance would be most welcome.

Thanks

Arif

0 votes

Hi Nic:

Yes. The User is a member of a group called esoap-users that appears to have permission to Create attachments "Delete Own Attachments" Just as a test, I ADDED the user to another group called "FAX-users" which also has permission to Create... I just did another test run, and same issue was observered. The JIRA was created, but the attachment is missing.

It is worth noting that I am have Jira Admiistrator permissions, and I tried using MY account as the sender as well...still no dice.

Any other thoughts?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 25, 2012

Does the user sending the email with the attachment have the permission to create attachmnets in the project?

Hi Nic:

Yes. The User is a member of a group called esoap-users that appears to have permission to Create attachments "Delete Own Attachments" Just as a test, I ADDED the user to another group called "FAX-users" which also has permission to Create... I just did another test run, and same issue was observered. The JIRA was created, but the attachment is missing.

It is worth noting that I am have Jira Admiistrator permissions, and I tried using MY account as the sender as well...still no dice.

Any other thoughts?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 25, 2012

That was the culprit when I last ran into it. I'd also check

1. That the attachments are not too large for your Jira (general settings should tell you what the maximum size is)

2. Your logs - there's likely to be a warning or error telling you why it can't attach the file

Suggest an answer