JIRA-MKS Integrity Integration

Amit Girme April 26, 2012

Within our organisation we are using MKS for one team and Jira for other

We would like to have a integration of MKS and JIRA. Is there any way to perform it?

Both should be in synchronisation so should work in both directions.

e.g.

When issue is created in Jira should reflect in MKS

and

when issue is created in MKS should reflect in JIRA.

Do any one have any idea about achieving this?

3 answers

1 vote
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2012

I did a brute force cutover from MKS to Jira. With 2 months of planning, creating cleanup/import scripts and testing, I was able to import some 5000 of 15K+ "recent" MKS issues into Jira and perform total switchover in 4 hours on a Sunday morning. The integration also including changes in SVN hook scripts and incorporatging the Jenkins CI build servers. Good luck with running to different bug tracking systems in parallel. We are using an older version of MKS but I found the MKS interfaces quite crude compared with Jira's various interfacing facilities.

Azfar_Masut May 22, 2017

Hey Brent, 

Do you mind connecting with me sharing your experience on the migration? Or do you have any blogs/article about your migration perhaps?

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2012

BTW, since I did my MKS importing there is now a commerical plugin that sounds interesting:

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.appfire.jira.plugins.appfire-enterprise-migration-utility/version/117

Maybe that might help.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2012

MKS = Marks and Spencer? Without knowing what you are talking about on the MKS side, I can't offer you anything there. On the Jira side, yes, it has several incoming and outgoing interfaces. For example

• On issue create/update Jira sends emails.
  • You can write code that can run after issue updates that could poke stuff out into other systems
  • You can easily pull XML from Jira issues if you want to code externally
  • Jira can process emails to update issues
  • There are SOAP and REST libraries which Jira uses to expose a lot of it's functionality - that's two way, it's for outgoing and incoming data.

But the best method for doing it is up to you - it depends on exactly what you're trying to update, how much data you want to exchange, and it's probably determined mostly by what MKS can do. Which we don't know.

Thanks for answering.

By MKS I mean to say MKS Integrity

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2012

Ah, ok. I've never seen it, so I'm not going to be able to help much on that side.

If no-one else has anything to offer, then do you know how extensible it is off-the-shelf? Can you write scripts/plugins/functions for it? Ones that might be able to use one or more of the data sources or interfaces I mentioned before?

Yes, I know..

Actually today I started working on it so thought to search if anything available in market? so it could guide me well

Suggest an answer