JIRA MENTOR\ADVISE

Melissa Thornton September 10, 2013

There does not appear to be a local user group in Memphis and we are not budgeted for a consultant. I need advice and feedback on implementing JIRA from a business perspective of 'how should we implement' not 'here are the technical configuration steps to implement'.

For example: I have seen JIRA implemented so that each 'department' was a 'project' and all issues for that department were entered under that project. There was a full SDLC waterfall workflow implemented. We had issue types that were not associated with development and had a different workflow. I was going to implement similar process at my new place of employment and I will be the administrator. However, the new development manager has just chosen SCRUM and the Agile add on as our methodology for managing (first dept in the company to do so). But not all issues will be an agile development project. I will need to track all issues together but you have to chose agile as a feature of the project.

Need advise on best implementation.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Melissa Thornton September 16, 2013

Thanks for the information. It appears that i will not be able to get any advice on this so i will be a good question asker and close.

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 11, 2013

Hi Melissa

First, don't worry about the Agile Add-on. See it as a layer on top of JIRA. Even if you start with an Agile project, you can create new issue types later on. It is just a starting point that makes sense with regards to the Scrum methodology.

In my company, we try to create one JIRA project per product/project. Management, for tracking purpose, has the tendency to want everything under the same project. However the project soon becomes a mess. If you really want to do that then you could at least create components by teams or products/projects.

Suggest an answer