JIRA -- Login Username Password Incorrect

We use LDAP authentication for our JIRA and Confluence.

Is there any technical way determine if incorrect passwords are caused by an LDAP issue (global) or if the user simply entered the wrong password?

Thanks so much.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

JIRA logs should normally indicate what the real issue is. It will give errors like authentication failure, connectivity issues etc. Wouldn't that help?

Thanks Jobin -- interesting that you bring this up -- we later found out that this was an LDAP (global) issue.

If a user is simply typing the wrong password, would this show (as an authentical failure) within the log file? I did not find any authentical messages within the log file (catalina.out).

Thanks Jobin

you should have something if you configure logging in Debug mode. Don't remember if it comes in Error mode or not.

Btw, login failures due to bad cookies won't generate any messages, even in Debug.

Thanks Jobin -- the bad cookies issue is great information. Have a great rest of the week!

Renjith Pillai Community Champion Dec 26, 2012

And to add what Jobin said, check the log "atlassian-jira-security.log" and if needed, enable additional debug logging in the administration just for security - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Logging+and+Profiling

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,345 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot