JIRA - Lock file - "JIRA Startup Failed"

Emilio Garcia-Calitz October 27, 2013

Hi,

I see this is a very common questions but I have been unable to resolve the issue myself (after following the suggestions in previous posts)

Issue started:

• After unexpected reboot of the server

I have so far:

• Stopped the service
  • Attempted to clear the plugin folders
  • The lock file is locked - as I am unable to move it while the service is started

This is the error message I receive and any suggestions would be very welcome.

JIRA Startup Failed

You cannot access JIRA at present. Look at the table below to identify the reasons

Description

The following plugins are required by JIRA, but have not been started:

• Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
  • Atlassian OAuth Admin Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.admin)
  • Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Shared Application Access Layer (SAL) Plugin (com.atlassian.sal.jira)
  • Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Look And Feel Logo Upload Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.lookandfeel)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
  • Atlassian REST - Module Types (com.atlassian.plugins.rest.atlassian-rest-module)
  • Gadget Spec Publisher Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.publisher)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - REST Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.rest)
  • Atlassian OAuth Service Provider Plugin (com.atlassian.oauth.serviceprovider)
  • Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2013

I had the same problem with Jira 5.2.11 on a virtual machine I was using.

The fix was this:

Add the JVM parameter -Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300

I added it inside 'setenv.sh'

Reason that this works:

OSGi (v2) plugins that ship by default wait 60 seconds for start up and load the necessary plugins that these plugins depend on.
If Jira takes longer than 60 seconds to start up, these plugins will start timing out and fail to load giving errors

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2013
Hi Kevin But it shouldn't take so long to load the plugins. Maybe try increasing the memory would also help. https://confluence.atlassian.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#content/view/5896 Cheers Bhushan
Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2013

On my box memory is not the issue, there are a lot of plugins and 60 seconds is not enough time. Changing to 300 seconds fixed the issues, and its documented by Atlassian.

Huw Evans February 18, 2014

Adding the timeout as detailed above fixed the issue for us as well.

Nathan Palmer May 5, 2014

Thank you this was also the solution to my problem in a similar situation. A Virtual Box with plenty of RAM however the plugins timed out

1 vote
ahmada March 31, 2015

Hi Everyone,

the solution for above problem is as below;

• stop JIRA
  • gedit following file <JIRA install>/bin/setenv.h
  • update the following
  • JVM_SUPPORT_RECOMMENDED_ARGS="-Datlassian.plugins.enable.wait=300"
  • start JIRA

• If problem persist, please check your java version and match it with supported platforms.
  • Open terminal. Type java -version to check your java version.

Thanks.

Ramy Nassef December 24, 2017

Many thanks, it worked!!

0 votes
Emilio Garcia-Calitz November 3, 2013

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the assitance. In the end it was that someone updated JAVA 6/30 to 7. Jira stopped working after this JAVA upgraqde and it was only after a reboot that the effect took place.

I rolled back to the previous version of Java and recreated the plugins folder and it appears to be working.

Thank you all for your time.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2013
0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2013

Hi Emilio,

For me the most common thing has been my McAfee anti-virus. Try to

1. Stop JIRA

2. Disable anti-virus

3. Start JIRA

Emilio Garcia-Calitz October 27, 2013

Hi Bhushan,

I can confirm that there is currently no AV on this server at the moment.

I did see that there was reference to disabling the AV on the server but I have no AV on this box at the moment.

Thanks

Emilio

Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2013

Do you see anything else in your log file? Try and post the log file which will give us more info.

Log file location https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16121981

Suggest an answer