JIRA License Query

Sundarrajan M June 10, 2014

Consider that I have 100 user license of JIRA purchased. I try to integrate Microsoft AD users for login authentication process. My AD contains 1000 users. When adding the user directory "Microsoft Active Directory" it syncs all the 1000 users and dispalys on the JIRA user tab. Is that the license works still for the selected 100 users or it counts for all the 1000 users? What is the best practise? Here we need to use Microsoft Active directory or Delgative user Access Directory?

3 answers

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2014

In case buying a 1000 or unlimited users license is not an option, you can use the delegated authentication with LDAP. This means that JIRA will use the internal directory and use the LDAP just for authentication.

For more information you can check here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+Internal+Directory+with+LDAP+Authentication

Hope it helps!

Cheers

Luciano Fagundes

0 votes
Sundarrajan M June 10, 2014

Thanks for the details. Logically it should be working as per the aritcle.

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2014

As far as I know, JIRA would take into account all 1000 users that are synced into your JIRA instance from AD. However, based on this article - How to Get a List of Active Users Counting Towards the JIRA License, it seems that only users that have any of the following global permission :

• JIRA System Administrators
  • JIRA Administrators
  • JIRA Users

would be counted towards the list of active users, so maybe not all 1000 of the users would use up the license user count.

Suggest an answer