JIRA LDAP User Authentication

Tudor Hofnar January 24, 2013

So I have configured the JIRA LDAP settings and have all users from our Active Directory imported into JIRA. Now I would like to link these account to JIRA accounts, basically so that when a user who has never logged into JIRA before but is in our LDAP, he can go to the JIRA site and log in, thus automatically creating a JIRA account for the user with the same username and password as in Active Directory. Is this possible? I have read multiple articles online and on the JIRA Documentation but I am not having any luck, many articles are from a few years ago and have links to scripts that are now broken.

How can I achieve this? I'm pretty sure its possible but just can't seem to get it working.

Thanks! (BTW I am using the Download version of JIRA - 5.2.4.1)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2013

Would Copy User On First Login, something you want? You have to configure delegated type directory.

Tudor Hofnar February 6, 2013

Exactly what I needed. At first I set up the wrong kind of directory (Active Directory) so I was unable to see the "Copu User On First Login" Option, then I switched to Delegated Type of Directory and now it works like a charm. Thanks!

0 votes
Luis Mayora
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

In our company the LDAP configuration is only for authentication. We didn't have to migrate the users from the LDAP to JIRA and it seems to be a easy solution.

Personally, I dont think you should go that route by creating a user in JIRA and replicate in LDAP.

Suggest an answer