JIRA JQL - autocomplete for cascading select lists

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2013

Couldn'1 find an answer to this one and the closest I've seen is this one:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/37661/autocomplete-for-parameters-in-jql-functions

Could you please confirm, that the autocomplete function is not working with cascading select lists? You'd have to manually search by entering the right values, right?

customfield_11111 in cascadeOption("1st Level","2nd Level")

Cheers Christian

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2013

Even if you don't use a function, then cascading select cannot auto-complete as of JIRA 6.0 and below.

eg

customfield_11111 = "2nd Level"

I just found this myself today, and I am in the middle of trying to fix this for v6.1

Melanie Rogers October 9, 2013

What is the JRA issue number?

mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2013

I actually did the work on an internal JIRA server, but now I copied the issue over so customers can find it.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-35239

(fixed in v6.1)

Adam Jacobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2013

Hi, is this broken again in 6.1.3? It doesn't work for us.

mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2013

Should clarify: it is currently impossible to do autocomplete on any JQL function including cascadeOption()

What I implemented is for "normal" JQL clauses for cascading select.

So, if you have a cascading CF called "Theme" you can type:

theme = Arch

and JIRA will autocomplete to (say)

theme = Architecture
but it will not be able to autocomplete
theme in cascadeOption(Arch
Was this your problem?
Adam Jacobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2013

Thanks for the fast reponse Mark. We have a cascading CF "Required By" where parent option is a global region (Australia, Italy, etc) and child option is a customer.

In 6.1.3, if I try:

"Required By" = Aus

it does not autocomplete. Similarly at customer level:

"Required By" = "Atlass

(third quote intended) does not autocomplete.

mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 3, 2013

Hmmm ... so I tested on JIRA 6.1.3 and it worked fine ... even with a space in the name.

Just to try to break it, I added a second CF with the same name as the first, and it was only showing me the values from the first field.
Furthermore, when I renamed the first field, it seemed to get even more confused (looks like the autocomplete details are in a stale cache ?).

Does this maybe sound like what happened to you?
If it is caching related, then a JIRA restart may help as a workaround ... ?
(But furst make sure the field names are unique)

This looks like a bug and my guess is that it is not specific to cascading select, but a probelm in auto-complete in general. Needs more testing, and I don't have any more time today.

In the meantime, I have raised https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-36058 but it would be good to do more investigation.
Please feel free to add more details to above bug report.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

0 votes
MAE O&M April 22, 2013

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA040/Advanced+Searching

I found this to be true. In above documentation it states: "auto-complete is supported for Custom Fields of type picker, group picker, select (except 'Cascading Select'), check-box and radio button fields."

Suggest an answer