JIRA JQL Search exclude time from Created and Created Date fields

MarkW April 7, 2013

Trying to search for issues ordering by create date then a custom field. The problem that occurs is that the secondary order is not done the way the users will want because the created contains a timestamp which could be throwing it off.

I want the issues ordered by date, then I want the platforms (MFB,MFA,MFD) to be grouped together. But my issue results list everything by date as we want but since the time the issues were created is different the platforms aren't grouped together

Example query for the above: project = Test and resolution = unresolved order by created desc, platform desc

Of course you can't order by platform because the issues won't be in chronological order.

Any way to achieve what I need?

3 answers

0 votes
Paul Howard November 4, 2019

since this is over 6 year's old, I'm wondering if there has been any other solution developed (other than custom date-only field)? Looking to get listing sorted by Assignee within Created-date.

0 votes
MarkW April 30, 2013

Hi Natalie,

I think behind the scenes a hidden time stamp is added on date custom fields. If you pull the value it will list the date and a 12am time stamp.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2013

I just took a look at some custom date fields in my instance, and the secondary groupings are working off date just fine (and not date & time). If you don't find any other solution you might want to give my suggestion a try. :)

MarkW April 30, 2013

I will give that a try. Our goal was to avoid applying a custom field to all the screens in our instance to allow for this sort of option. We will give it a try to a particular one we have setup.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2013

Adding as a comment instead of an answer in case this doesn't work - as you've said, the problem is that the Created field is a date & time, so I think your solution would be to create a new Created Date custom field (that is just date as opposed to date & time), and on a post function of the create step in the workflow copy the value of Created to your new custom field, and use that in your query instead. This could be a lot of work, sorry...hopefully someone else will reply with a cleaner and more efficient solution. :)

Suggest an answer