JIRA JQL Auto-complete suggestions.

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2017

My question is regarding JIRA's ability to provide auto-complete in JQL and other searchable fields. 
For e.g. 
I want that when I start typing project = "TEST", it should show the following projects in the dropdown list of suggestions for me to select. 

- TEST
- HW_TEST
- "Project Test New"

Instead with the current auto complete suggestions shiw, only project with name starting with "TEST", and would not show the second and third option project.

How can enhance this functionality to include 2 and 3 projects as well? 

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2017

Hi Tayyab,

Out of the box JIRA does not perform approximate string matching (fuzzy searching) on the projects keyword.  If you are using ScriptRunner you can use projectMatch function from the script runner plugin:

project in matchProject("ABC.*")
In addition JRACLOUD-61197 for Cloud and JRASERVER-61197 for Server aim to address this limitation.  Please vote on the issue and add your use case for impact.  Once you do that you'll be automatically notified of any updated from the developer assigned to investigate.
Cheers,

Branden

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2017

Hi Branden, 

Thanks for your reply.
I do have Scriprunner but there is no 'matchProject' function in it?

Secondly, my concern is more over related to autocomplete suggestions for the project. 

I have 3 project with the word New in it. 
So I want when I start typing "project = New" it shows restrict the projects to these 3 projects :

1.PNG

Instead, when I type "project = N" it just gives autocomplete suggestion for the project starting with the name "N"

2.PNG

Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2017

Hi @somethingblue could you please give some thoughts on my last comment?
Many thanks.

Andrey Yalovoy June 30, 2019

Hi @Tayyab Bashir, did you find any solution for your question?

Suggest an answer