JIRA Issue numbers when moving between projects

Cory Brassinton May 14, 2014

Two questions: If I have an existing project and create a new empty project, then bulk move some issues from the old project, will they keep their issue numbers if possible? Eg. OLD-123 -> NEW-123, or would it be OLD-123 -> NEW-1

Also, if I change the project key OLD -> NEW, will the issue numbers stay the same?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2014

This is an easy test you could run with little consequences. However, I've done this and can tell you.

A: You'll get OLD-123 -> NEW-1 but OLD-123 will still be valid for hunting purposes. If you ask for OLD-123 you'll be redirected to NEW-1.

B: I've never changed a project key and can't answer that question. I expect the issue numbers to be the same. If you have Admin rights this is also an easy experiment where you simply erase the old projects and everything is fresh.

Carolyn Nelson August 31, 2017

It didn't work like this for me, but 3 years have passed since this question/answer.  We are in the cloud.  I'm separating one project into two.  After creating the brand new project, I tested the move of 5 issues to the new project.  They had very high numbers and they weren't sequential, so OLD-34100 and OLD-35200, they came into the new project as NEW-34100 and NEW-34101.  Ugh!  Now I seem to have lost the ability to use numbers 1-34099.  Even if I create a net new ticket, it gets assigned NEW-34102.  Is this a function of the Issue ID field (as opposed to the Key)?  I am willing to make a whole new copy of the project to fix this before moving all the issues over.  Is there something I can do during the move to make sure the numbering starts at 1?

Suggest an answer