JIRA Issue XML Export: What is it good for?

Michael Breu June 29, 2017

Hello all,

We have got an set of issue XML-exports from another JIRA instance.

I thought it would be straightforward to import them into our JIRA instance.

However from various forum entries I learned that this is not possible.

So, what is an XML-Exporter good for, if not importing the results elsewhere?

Michael

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Ellis June 7, 2018

I found that the XML export is a good free way to get comments and issue link types without buying or using an add-on. The CSV export is broken for Link Type exports and it is relatively easy to convert XML to CSV and get the comments and link types.

Michael Breu June 7, 2018

Hello Ellis,

So you managed to reimport XML-exported files into Jira again? That is good news?

How did you do this?

Michael

Michael Ellis June 22, 2018

The XML export of Jira has lots of data like comments and issue link types for example that the CSV Export can not provide. So by simply writing a little script you can convert the XML to CSV and you have whatever data you want. Also you can import CSV, I am not sure about importing comments I don't think it is possible. Jira Add-Ons cost more if you have more users and my instance has a lot, however Jira XML exports provide all the data we need, but CSV is easier to use. 

Like delstevens likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

An xml backup is useful for importing into other JIRA systems.

The issue xml exports are useful for machine representations of issues, more for other non-JIRA systems to read.  Although since about JIRA 5, the REST interface is generally the better way to get other systems to interact with JIRA, rather than exports.

Michael Breu June 29, 2017

Hello Nic,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

> The issue xml exports are useful for machine representations of issues, more for other non-JIRA systems to read. 

Wouldn't it be a good idea, if JIRA could read its own exports? I was so convinced, that re-importing a JIRA-own-generated XML is no problem, that I did not put  it in question. OK my fault.

What ist the preferred solution for file based import/export of JIRA issues? Is it just plain old CSV?

I will have a closer look on the REST interface for importing. However on first glance it seems much more effort to set up an importer.

Thank you

Michael

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

It can read its own backups.  The xml exports of issues are simply not designed for transfers, that's what the xml backups are for.

Like Zohreh Abdollahi likes this
Ralph Navarro March 29, 2019

Backup restores replace the existing data in the target JIRA.  What is the process to export issues and have them added to the target JIRA without removing any existing data?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer