JIRA Issue Watchers Not Notified During Creation from an Email

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2014

I am running JIRA 6.3.7 with a notification scheme that notifies the reporter, the assignee, and all watchers upon issue creation.

Many of our issues are created by way of email submission. I have an email handler configured to use the From field as the Reporter and any names in the CC field are added as Watchers.

Issues are created successfully and both the reporter and assignee receive the issue creation notification. However, users in the Watchers list do not receive the issue creation notification. Watchers do receive notifications when comments are added or other changes to the issues are made. They are just missing this initial creation notification.

I already found a similar question/answer regarding this problem, but the comments don't address the email aspect of the question.

I understand that JIRA does not support adding Watchers to issues via the Issue Create screen - however this is not the use-case I'm interested in. It is evident that JIRA does support adding Watchers to issues during creation via email using the CC field.

Despite the issue being created successfully and Watchers added to the ticket, no notification is sent out to the Watchers upon issue creation via email.

Is this expected functionality and I've just encountered a limitation in how JIRA sends out notifications?

Thank you for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Piotr Klimkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2014

I think the answer in this question you mentioned: by Marcus is right to the point.

Issue from email is created first (which triggers the email notification) and then watchers are added.

Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2014

Thank you, Piotr. I wanted to be sure this was indeed the case and there wasn't something I missed.

James King December 12, 2014

Piotr, we use Autowatch Rules for issue types that are created from email automatically generated by our various platform and system alerts, and have the same resulting problem. Marcus' comment elaborates on the cause of the problem (the sequence of events), then links to an issue that outlines a different problem. We *have* Autowatch Rules as an option, now, or can add watchers at issue creation through the Cc field. That issue is solved for many scenarios, thus reducing the urgency of the original request. What is not working is a notification that should go to the watchers surrounding an issue creation notification. The former is a feature request, and the latter is the failure of a feature (or combination of features) to operate as expected. Even the [information provided on the Marketplace about Autowatch|https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.addon.connect.jiraautowatch] suggests that users are added as watchers, and issue creation notifications go out to those watchers. While I understand that this is in queue for future development, it needs to be escalated.

Suggest an answer