JIRA Issue Macro - Causing long page loading times?

Daniel Puyau September 11, 2014

We are using Confluence v5.5.1, JIRA 6.2.5 (self hosted),  and have encountered slow page loading times on wiki pages with  20 +JIRA issues when the JIRA issue macro is used. Users are adding these by pasting the JIRA issue url into a table which automatically converts to the macro. If I removed the link and simply type in a ticket number the page loads fine. But users want 1) the ticket KEY and Summary to show and 2) a quick link to the ticket to make quick edits. I also attempted to modify the macro to pull in a list of issues based on a JQL search but that also resulted in long load times.

During peak business hours, the page can take anywhere from 60s to 120s to load. I saw somewhere that it was suggested to adjust the max entries in the admin==> cache statistics section which i did, from 500 to 1000 and then to 5000. But that didn't seem to make any difference. There user base for both Confluence and JIRA is approximately 450 with an average of 300 concurrent users.  

So my question is, is this type of performance to be expected or is there a setting/adjustment that can be made to help with the load times? Thank you for your help! 

4 answers

0 votes
Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2015

Does anyone have idea to fix this issue?

0 votes
Janosch Spillmann August 11, 2015

Seems that the solution of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-32525 not realy fixed the problem. This is a great and important functionality of confluence-jira connection, but we can't even use it right cause the poor performance. We tried to increase the cache size as mentioned in the issue, but it doesn't help. We use "Trusted Application" Link for connecting jira<->Confluence. Is there a more performant way to configure the link, or does it have no impact?

0 votes
Jens Kasperek (Bosch GmbH) March 19, 2015

Same issue for our Confluence 5.5.6 with 135,000 users :-(

0 votes
Madhusudhan Matrubai September 18, 2014

We suffer a similar performance issue with confluence 5.5.4 and JIRA 6.3.1 (self hosted) , for us the page loads fine after couple of days of restart of confluence and then slowly starts to deteriorate with pages loading taking more than a minute even with 1 or 2 JIRA tickets on the page.

Suggest an answer