JIRA Import option is missing

Thomas Jespersen August 16, 2017

I am in the process of migrating our Jira Server to JIRA Cloud. I have backed up our data from the server, but are unable to import the data. The following sentence is from the official guide;

1. In the Import and Export section, click JIRA Import and follow the steps to upload your backup file. This process checks URLs in the specified XML backup, and will let you choose whether or not to update URLs to point to the new JIRA Cloud application.

But I doesn't have a button/option that is named JIRA Import. Anyone got any ideas why that is ? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2017

Hi Thomas,

It appears your instance is on the new platform, so the option has changed to Restore System. Our documentation will be updated in the near future regarding this.

Can you give that a try and let us know if you have any trouble?

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Jordan September 10, 2017

Hi Shannon! 

I recently asked a question and then saw this question.

Can you point to where Restore System lies? I've been looking around in the JIRA > Settings > System Admin portal and I can't find it. Perhaps it's different while using the recently (Sept 2017) upgraded JIRA UI.

I'm using version 1.30

Is there perhaps a user permissions thing going on?

I'm in the group: jira-administrators 
but I'm not a site-administrator.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2017

Hi Jordan,

I'm writing you on your question to help guide you to the proper place to perform an import, which will be in the JIRA Administrative settings.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Miłosz Kosobucki October 19, 2017

Hey Shannon,

We're having the same problem, the Restore System option is nowhere to be found. Is it possible that it's some kind of bug?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2017

Milosz,

It appears to be still there, but with the New Jira Look it might be harder to find. Do you have the New Look?

If so, from the Jira main page, click Settings in the left-hand column. Next, click System. You will find under IMPORT AND EXPORT, Restore System.

You can also access it directly from the URL:

https://YOUR-URL.atlassian.net/secure/admin/CloudImport!start.jspa

Let me know if you have any trouble. Please note you DO need to be a Jira administrator in order to see this.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Miłosz Kosobucki October 19, 2017

It seems to be matter of permissions. I thought that being JIRA Administrator is sufficient, but it seems that I need to be site admin as well.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 19, 2017

Ah, yes. That's correct as well, since the import will overwrite and create any necessary users from the backup. You need to be site-admin to control the users.

Let us know if you have any further questions about that.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Anthony France September 7, 2018

Shannon,

The import/export section would let you import specific project as stated on your documentation (all over the place) the new restore system doesn't have this.  

How can I restore a single project from a jira cloud created back for cloud instances?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 10, 2018

Hi Anthony,

That feature is not available for Cloud.

Have a look at this article for information on how to merge a project with an existing instance:

Regards,

Shannon

Anthony France September 10, 2018

Thanks Shannon, I was able to get what I needed imported!

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 10, 2018

Anthony,

Thank you for letting me know. Take care!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer