JIRA Import issue - Importing from CSV creates new custom fields

Deleted user April 25, 2012

Hello,

we have a problem when trying to import issues into JIRA from a CSV file.

In the CSV file we have the values which should be set in the Custom Fields in JIRA.

These custom fields are mostly type Select List so we tried to use the mapping (map the value from CSV to the value in Select list) but it didn't work - the existing values were not displayed.

When we continued with the import JIRA actualy created new global custom fields with the same name as the already existing custom fields which is very bad.

We had to delete all the imported issues (more than 250) and delete all the new custom fields manually to restore JIRA to where it was before the import.

Our JIRA version is 4.4.4., Importers plugin 3.5.3

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Pawel Niewiadomski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2012

Hi,

I agree there should be a select box to select values from an existing custom field but there's none. We haven't implemented it yet. I raised https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JIM-731 for that, anyone interested please vote.

I guess new custom field is created because the one in JIRA has a limited context - like it's defined only for some projects or issue types. Am I guessing correctly?

JIM 3.x allows you to import only to global custom fields, it may show the custom field on the list, but later it will create a new one if it can't find a global custom field. I think there's a message in the log about that.

Cheers,

Pawel

Hi Pawel,

thank you for your reply.

Our custom fields are also limited for a specific issue type on one project so that could be the reason why the import did not work.

Atleast now we know the error is not on our side, but still we need to find another way to import the data. I was thinking about an using SQL query to the DB instead.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2012

Hi, if I remember well in one step you choose what Custom Field will be mapped with what column of the CSV File. And then in order to select the values, you have to write in those text box you marked the value of the Select Custom Field. I'm not sure, but I think the values have to be already created in the custom field before doing the import.

Hi Ramiro,

yes we have the values already created in the existing custom fields but the import just creates whole new custom fields instead of using the already existing fields with values.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events