[JIRA] How to restrict assignee to be valid within certain group?

Rowens Hsu May 5, 2013

Hello experts,

How to restrict assignee to be valid within certain group?

Thoughts:

(1) Need a group configuration for assignee. (seems no such config. available)

(2) Block events if assignee is not in the right group via issueCreated, issueUpdated, issueAssigned events. ==> How to block events in jira listeners?

Thanks.

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

Hello Rowens,

As I understand from your question, you want the assignee to be restricted within a certain user group. I think you can acheive that by modify you project permission schemes, you can specifiy the group you want it to be assignable by the Assignable User permission. So other users who belongs to other groups won't be able to be assigned. For further information, you may refer to the documentaion:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

Rowens Hsu May 5, 2013

Thanks for your reply.

I found that I want assignee to be restricted only at certain statuses.

So this global permission scheme doesn't work.

Or do you know how to block events?

Thanks.

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

Hello Rowens,

I think you question was discussed in this post:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/54932/possible-to-restrict-assignee-in-certain-status

I hope that helps. :)

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2013

Hi Rowens,

You are most welcome. I'm glad I could help.

As for your question, I think it is possible. However, I'm not so sure about it.

Rowens Hsu May 5, 2013

Thanks.

BTW, is it possible to set multiple groups?

Ex:

Key: jira.permission.assignable.group

Value: QA,reporter

1 vote
CTW July 24, 2013

I just want to confirm the format of the content which should go in each field.

EDIT:

I have discovered jira.permission.assignable.group=Reviewteam is the same as-

Property Key: jira.permission.assignable.group
Property Value: Reviewteam

0 votes
Mat_Chavez February 16, 2017

CTW pretty much gets it dead on. To summarize:

• Make a group of users in User Management
  • For each workflow state, add a property where jira.permission.assignable.group is set to YourGroupName
  • In the transition to the state, add a validator that requires a field change, set to Assignee

This then creates a scenario where you must change the assignee, and the assignee must be a member of the desired group - otherwise, the state won't change.

Cheers.

Lee Calladine September 22, 2017

Hey Mat Chavez,
Has anyone actually tried this and seen it work?
It seems impossible to have the validator result as positive as you cannot actually change the Assignee during the transition as moving the card on the story board transitions the status only and not the assignee.
Am I missing something vital?

Steps to replicate:

1. Once all the setup has been configured, go to your story board
  2. Drag the story from the column not controlled to the controlled column
  3. Error is displayed, whether you change the Assignee to a valid user or not.

Help!

0 votes
CTW July 24, 2013

Hi,

I also want to restrict the "Assignee" for issues in a particular state (Newly opened issues must first be assigned to one person to review before they are then Assigned to the correct user).

I set

Key= jira.permission.assignable.group

Value: Reviewteam

However the issue is always automatically assigned to the person raising the issue (who is not part of the Reviewteam group).

I tried with

Key= jira.permission.assign.user

Value: Reviewer

But again, the issue is assigned to the person raising the issue and not the user "Reviewer".

Am I doing this correctly? Is this something that needs to be done on the "Step" or could it be done on the "Transition"?

Cheers

Manoj April 30, 2019

I have to assign tickets to few people and each ticket has 12 custom fields but i want them to see only 5 fields while creating or updating the existing ticket. 

Could you please suggest the steps? Thanks in advance.

Regards, M

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2013

People have covered most of your question already, but I'd like to point out that your thought 2 is impossible. You can't "block" somethign in a listener because a listener happens *after* the event, so it's too late.

0 votes
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2013

Suggest an answer