[JIRA] How much bandwidth does your instance use?

Steve Goldberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

I can't find any documents on the Atlassian Confluence but I'm interested to know how much bandwidth everyone's JIRA uses? We're going to hosting our own version of JIRA and need to know how much we'll need. Any analytics anybody is willing to provide would be a great help: how many users, monthly usage, and any pertinent to why it might be high/low.

Thanks

2 answers

2 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

That's not a straightforward metric. I'd contact Roy Krishna @ Atlassian who is getting access logs from various customers as part of their "enterprise" program, once he's assimilated all this data he should be able to provide useful metrics.

Here is a ballpark figure, today (currently lunchtime here) my instance has had 208383 requests which was 4,743 Mb of data. I don't think the number of registered users is relevant, but it's about 12k.

I got this from the apache access logs:

$ perl -ne 'BEGIN {my $tot = 0; my $req = 0;} / (\d+)$/; $tot += $1 ||0; $req+=1; END {print qq/$tot bytes for $req requests\n/}' jira-access.log

4743026713 bytes for 208383 requests

Steve Goldberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2012

Thanks for the info! User info is important just that we can scale up/down your results against the number of users we expect to have.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2012

Yup, but imho number of users is only vaguely proportional to number of requests. I don't think that is the right scaling factor. You probably need to make some sort of value judgment.

1 vote
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2012

Hi, Confluence probably uses a lot more bandwidth, but JIRA not likely. Unless there are a lot of attachments (which is rare), from our experience, JIRA barely uses much bandwidth.

Most of the time it'd be serving Javascript I'd say - enabling compression would definitely help. Most instances we've seen use less than a few GB, which is similar to what Jamie has said.

Suggest an answer