JIRA Hardware requirement

Bharat Pant March 12, 2015

Hi there

Good day, I am currently using JIRA 3.0.x and now I am going to migrate to another server due to which I have few questions, first of all I wanted to ask that what version of JIRA should I use, the another doubt I am having is regarding the Server Hardware requirement. We are using JIRA in Windows server and will be continuing the same. The doubt we are having is that what Disk Size, Physical Memory and other we should be having in order to run JIRA smoothly.

Below are my requirements on this:

1. Number of Users:            100
    2. Number of Issues:            2,00,000+

Please let me know at the earliest so that we can proceed with the migration.

Thanks in advance smile 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2015

>what version of JIRA should I use

The latest one.  

Unless it's a recent major release that could be a bit risky because it is very new.  6.4 is quite recent and I'd certainly look at it, but possibly aim for 6.3 because it's been out there for a while and no-one is reporting huge bugs with it.

>Disk Size,

JIRA, and, to be fair, every other sane application in the world, is tiny when you compare it against the cost of disk storage.  My "development" laptop currently has about 30 installations I really ought to housekeep, and the disk in that laptop cost about £40 two years ago.  So the application is really no problem.

What matters is your data.  JIRA databases aren't really that big, it's usually the attachments that blow out the data size.

>Physical Memory

Try to allow it a couple of Gb and remember to leave a load free for the operating system.

Bharat Pant March 19, 2015

The number of issues will be approx 3,00,000 or somewhere near that. I am concerned about the disk size used for the backups what JIRA take twice a day in export folder.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 19, 2015

Point logrotate at the backups. Although for 300,000 issues, you should consider turning those backups off and move to using database backups instead. The xml is only for small Jira installs really.

Point logrotate at the backups. - Can you please elaborate on this one ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2015

Most unix type boxes install a logrotate program - with that, you can add a bit of config to /etc/logrotate.d which says "every day/week/month, look at this directory, compressing old files and deleting really old ones". I'm sure there are Windows services which do something similar

Bharat Pant March 23, 2015

Ok... Great... Thanks for the info.. also one more help I needed. We are migrating our application from Windows server 2008 to 2012 and we need to map the old database schema to new one. Is there any way to do that as it is asking for us to create a new empty database schema.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2015
Bharat Pant April 12, 2015

Hi Nic, we are having some concerns regarding JIRA 6.1 and 6.2 as they are having couple of changes which we are confused about one of it is >> JIRA Administrators cannot delete users that have commented on issues Which says that we will not be able to delete the users who left us and did comment on any of the issues. This will be a problem as we have only limited 100 user liscence and we don't wanna go over that. Can we go for 6.0 or there are some issues with this version ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2015

You should not delete users who have affected your data, it destroys information and breaks all sorts of things. As Atlassian have always advised, just disable the accounts and remove them from all groups and roles. If they are disabled, they won't count towards your licence.

Bharat Pant April 14, 2015

Hi Nic So can we go for 6.1 version as of now because as for 6.2 and later, IE8 support has ended and our business is not willing to move to IE11. Is 6.1 version a stable version as of now ? if not can you please let me know the earliest stable version before 6.1 Thanks in advance

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2015

Yes, you can use 6.1 (I'm not sure why you're asking about "stable" - Atlassian only release "early access" versions for testing, or stable versions) But, bear in mind 1) Your business being "not willing" translates to "stupid", if they are seriously considering not upgrading *all* of their IE8 installations to supported versions before January 2016. (Of course, an easy option is to use a proper browser instead...) 2) Jira 6.1 goes out of support in May 2016

0 votes

The number of issues will be approx 3,00,000 or somewhere near that. I am concerned about the disk size used for the backups what JIRA take twice a day in export folder.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2015

Is your number of issues 2 million or 200 hundred thousand?

Suggest an answer