JIRA Filter is showing unfeasible results

Matt Antonucci May 18, 2017

Hi,

We're using two Custom Fields and trying to filter for their results. However when I run this filter (below) Jira returns results for Epics and Tickets that don't even have these Custom Fields in their form. I've tried reading about Custom Variables and how they work in filters but I haven't been able to find anything that would indicate why this filter wouldn't work. Does anyone have any insight to why this filter below would return thousands and thousands of results that do not qualify for the filter's requirements. 

("AdOps Issue Type" = Trafficking OR "Yield Issue Type" = "IO Change")

(Also, I've never asked a question on here before so if there's anything else I could provide, let me know.)

Thanks - Matt

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2017

I had to read this a couple of times, as "issue type" has a distinct structural meaning, and putting it in field names can be confusing.  However, I do know what you've done.

You have a couple of *fields* called "AdOps Issue Type" and "Yield Issue Type".  Your query is only asking about these fields, so it's returning all the issues with those field values set. 

The problems you have with this are:

• You are not asking about the actual issue type.   The filter will return any issue of any type that has either of the values set.
  • The "form" as you call it, is irrelevant.  Filters search for data.

There's a simple test:

• Run the search as usual in the issue navigator
  • Go to the view settings
  • Add the colums for "AdOps Issue Type" and "Yield Issue Type"
  • Scan down the list - you'll find every issue has one or both of them filled in.
Matt Antonucci May 22, 2017

Hi Nic - you're test worked! By showing the columns for 'AdOps Issue Type' I found that the default value for this custom variable was set to 'Trafficking' instead of BLANK, even though that custom variable was not being used in many of the projects. Thank you for the suggestion, time, and help - I really appreciate it. 

Suggest an answer