JIRA Evaluation: Exchange mail server (MAPI) support?

Adam Honeycutt February 9, 2014

Hello,

My company has strong reservations about enabling POP3/S or IMAP/S on our Microsoft Exchange servers.

I have found this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-6559issue from 2005 which says MAPI support will never happen. Have the plans changed in the meantime?

Can you tell me if there are any options (from Atlassian or third parties) for enabling JIRA to retrieve emails from a Microsoft Exchange server which does not have POP3/S or IMAP/S enabled? An intermediate mail component (e.g. that JIRA could talk with over POP3/S or IMAP/S which then talks with Exchange over MAPI) might be acceptable, klunky though it would be.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

--Adam.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2014

The issue is still resolved, won't fix and has no updates. Unsurprisingly, that means Atlassian have no intention of pluging themselves into the mess that is supporting MAPI

To qualify the "mess" opinion above, I've had to try it once for a non-Atlassian system, and frankly, even if you can get past the cost and paperwork, it's dreadful. We canned it in the end because it simply couldn't pass the minimum security requirements. Seriously, use IMAP/S. Don't touch MAPI with a barge-pole (unless it's a fully SSL compliant bargepole, in which case, MAPI won't work)

Suggest an answer