JIRA Error reporting

Alexander Riggs November 28, 2014

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to have my software automatically report and found errors into JIRA. I really would rather it not be an actual issue, but just a database that I can go look at and see any errors that was reported by my software. I know I could create my own reporting system, but I would love to see if there was one like this built into JIRA first.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2014

Not really, as the sorts of ways software can fail and report errors, there's no rea generic way to do this.  Even the basic question of "what are you trying to catch and how do you want to report it" can vary wildly between applications.

Three very obvious starting points though - There is a "Capture" addon for capturing the errors in quite a detailed way, and a more simple "issue collector" system built in.  Those two require human interaction of course, but if you want to think about complete automation, reach for a bit of coding and the REST API - you can use that to create/update/interrogate JIRA error reports.

Alexander Riggs November 28, 2014

I think my question was misunderstood... I was asking was there a way to store the text of an error for review later. I can handle getting the error and passing it over to the system... I just want a way to store it that does not involve an actual issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2014

Sorry, I don't understand. You can "get the error and pass it over to the system". So you're creating an issue for it? "I want a way to store it that does not involve an issue" makes no sense in the context that you are asking to capture error information in an issue tracker. If you don't want to store it with an issue, then why are you even looking at doing it in Jira? Why not just write it somewhere else and post a link to it in Jira if you need it?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2014

REST Api is the choice. If a programmatic implementation is tough for you, see the curl usage to post issues to JIRA.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+REST+API+Example+-+Create+Issue#JIRARESTAPIExample-CreateIssue-Examplesofcreatinganissue

Suggest an answer