JIRA Email notification prefix no longer states what action is being done in JIRA Version 5.2

Steven Lam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2012

Prior to our upgrade from 4.3.2 to 5.2 our JIRA email notifications would have the subject

JIRA $action: ($issuekey) $summary, $action being anything from created, commented, closed etc.

In JIRA 5.2, our notifications now state in the subject

JIRA ($issuekey) $summary

I can't seem to find the config to include the action within the subject line.

Many users have commented on this as now they're forced to go through all their notifications to find a specific update vs skimming the subject lines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steven

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2012

To change the email subject to the way it was on the old versions, you'll need to add '<tt>$eventTypeName: </tt>' in the beginning of the <tt>.vm</tt> files inside the <tt>$JIRA_INSTALL</tt><tt>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email/subject</tt> directory. Please note that you'll also need to restart JIRA after modifying these files so the changes take effect.

1 vote
Rocky July 23, 2014

HI Team,

Currently we are using jira 6.0.5

we need to display the custom field value in the subject of the email whenever the respective field is updated

the field is a version picker

currentky we are using the text mode for email notification.i have edited the issueupdated.vm.i have tried the below template

# if the custom field value is empty print the issuekey.issuetype,and summary else print issuekey,updated custom field value and issue summary

if($issue.getCustomFieldValue("customfield_1001") = "")

($issue.key) ($issue.issueTypeObject.name) $issue.summary

#else
($issue.key) $issue.getCustomFieldValue("customfield_1001") ($issue.issueTypeObject.name) $issue.summary
#end

im not getting the value when the custom field is updated.

please help me with valid template

0 votes
Chafea-IT Chafea-IT February 12, 2013

This should be an option and not forced into the configuration. Modify around 19 files for going back is waste of time. Especially, if this has been done for one specific service...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2013

Mmm, but the change is simple and quick, and does help out other non-gmail systems as well. Coding for it to go into an on/off configuration is more complex and I'd say Atlassian decided it wasn't worth the effort.

0 votes
mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2013

The subject was changed on purpose to help GMail do threading better (its email threading is based on subject rather than mail headers).

You can see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-25412 and https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+use+the+old-style+HTML+Email+templates+from+JIRA+4.3+in+JIRA+4.4 for more information.

Suggest an answer