JIRA Email Handler - Create Issue Based on Regular and High Priority Email

MAG-II March 19, 2018

Hello All - 

I am currently in the process of creating a JIRA project that involves an email handler. I've figured out how to configure it in that when the email address receives an email, it creates an Issue in JIRA. That works well. 

My question involves taking this process a step further. Does anyone know if it would be possible that when a user emails the email handler (from Outlook) and marks that email as High Priority, then the Issue that gets created skips a step in my workflow? The idea is that regular emails sent to the address go to the first status in the workflow, while High Priority emails skip this first status. Or maybe there is a different way to achieve this?

At the moment I am just not sure how much customization I can do with JIRA email handlers and creating Issues. Any help/insight anyone may have would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

3 answers

0 votes
perdue_brandon_vast-inc_com March 22, 2018

This question is kind of off the topic that I created, but does anyone know where I can find the default JIRA email notification HTML template? I ask because I would like to send a custom email via Scriptrunner with the look and feel of the JIRA email notifications, 

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

0 votes
MAG-II March 21, 2018

Hi Andrew - 

Thanks for the response. I am using JIRA Core. I kind of solved my problem so far. I have a plug in called Jira Workflow Toolbox. I was able to use a post function there that created a condition "if priority = highest, transition to status ____." 

It seems to work so far. The only irritating thing is that when the create Issue email notification gets sent, it does not show the Assignee when Issue has skipped first status (has used the post function). 

I am going to spend some time today to try to figure that out. 

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2018

If this is a Jira Service Desk project, then you could use the built in automation to Service Desk to create a rule that would automatically transition issues when created if their priority was set to a specific level.

If this is not a Service Desk project, then you could still do this same thing, but you would need a plugin for Jira to be able to do this for other project types in Jira.   For example the Automation for Jira plugin, should be able to afford this kind of configuration to happen automatically for issues of specific priorities.

I would expect there are other ways to achieve this too.  Different plugins on our Marketplace site could have different configuration steps to follow to achieve this kind of setup.

Suggest an answer